Students Teach In Lecture Series

By Michelle B. Nguyen, Crimson Staff Writer

Students gathered at the Adams Pool Theater last Friday to listen as their peers presented lectures on a wide array of topics, ranging from a discourse on traditionalism to a costumed presentation about Einstein’s theory of special relativity.

During this third-ever “Harvard Student Lecture Series”—organized by the Harvard Diggers Society—seven student speakers talked for ten minutes each about an intellectual topic of their choice. The speakers were chosen on a first come, first served basis.

“There is no exclusivity or screening of speeches,” said Talia B. Lavin ’12, one of the organizers and a founding member of the Diggers, a group that seeks to foster a sense of community on campus based on intellectual passion. “We want to make the ground of public discourse fertile again at Harvard.”

Spencer B. L. Lenfield ’12 opened the event with a speech on Alfred Tennyson’s poem “In Memoriam” and the making of modern poetry. Exploring Tennyson’s use of poetry to grieve the loss of a close friend, Lenfield brought up the notion of poetry as an art form that transcends textual meaning and authorizes us to feel without having to explain.

Max D. Novendstern ’12 followed with a discussion on “Gov 2.0,” the commodification of government processes and data, as a tool of civic engagement. “Gov 2.0 is as old as the American democracy itself,” he said. “Its promise is to restore the conception of government as a platform that allows you to connect with fellow citizen to solve problems.”

Laura M. Hogikyan ’14 delivered a speech titled “Playing” that examined the realm of theater. “It is a world in which everything is intensified and possible,” she said. “You have to suspend your disbelief and allow yourself to be inspired.”

Noam J. Hassenfeld ’12 then delved into the intersection between tradition and innovation. Drawing from his Jewish upbringing, he discussed different ways of thinking about tradition and finally tipped the scale in favor of the view that tradition is dynamic and that human control of tradition is a good thing.

Lester C. Kim ’11 followed, dressed as Einstein, with a presentation on the theory of special relativity and its implications for time and space travel.

Co-President of True Love Revolution Rachel L. Wagley ’11 considered the clash of traditionalist and secular orthodoxies in modern American culture. She touched on a wide scope of issues including moral relativism, moral rhetoric and contraceptive justice.

Brett A. Rosenberg ’12 concluded the event with a presentation titled “‘Van’-dalism,” discussing her admiration of Martin Van Buren, the eighth President of the United States.

Members of the audience said they were largely satisfied with the quality of the speeches and their delivery.

“The event did not disappoint,” Abigail B. Lind ’12 said. “I have a lot of admiration for people who can pull off public speaking.”

CollegeOn Campus