Medical Examiner Determines Sophomore’s Cause of Death

By Andrew M. Duehren, Crimson Staff Writer

The Massachusetts Office of the Chief Medical Examiner has found that Luke Z. Tang ’18, a Lowell House sophomore, died by suicide, according to spokesperson Felix Browne.

Tang, who attended high school in New Orleans before he came to Harvard, died unexpectedly on Sept. 12, and officials at first said the cause of death was pending, although they suspected no foul play.

Tang was remembered last Wednesday at a memorial service, when hundreds of students, faculty, and friends congregated in Memorial Church to honor him. At the service, friends and family shared their memories of Tang’s empathy and dedication to his friends and his faith, attributes that characterized his life.

At Harvard, Tang was a member of the Asian American Christian Fellowship and served on the board of the Harvard Interfaith Forum.

Caitlin M. Casey, the dean in Lowell House and Tang’s sophomore adviser, reflected on her relationship with Tang at the Wednesday service.

“In the short time that we knew him at Lowell, it became clear to us that Luke was a committed young man. Committed to his spiritual journey... and committed to his quest for knowledge,” she said then.

—Staff writer Andrew M. Duehren can be reached at andy.duehren@thecrimson.com. Follow him on Twitter @aduehren.

CollegeCollege News