BRIEF: Women's Ice Hockey Comes Up Short in Both Weekend Games

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

Facing ranked teams for the first time this season, the Harvard women’s hockey team (1-2, 1-2 ECAC) had trouble channeling its offense on this weekend’s road trip.

Harvard 0, St. Lawrence 4

The No. 7/6 Saints (7-0-1, 2-0-0) took the lead early in the game and never looked back, going on to shut out the Crimson Saturday afternoon.

Within the first 30 seconds of play, St. Lawrence right wing Kennedy Marchment was able to break through Harvard’s defense and score at the 25 second mark, assisted by teammates Brooke Webster and Kristen Padalis.

From that point on, the Saints dominated both sides of the ice, going on to score four goals in total while keeping the Crimson’s offense at bay and holding it scoreless for the remainder.

Marchment continued to be the center of attention for St. Lawrence’s offense, as she went on to score two more goals, resulting in a hat trick for the junior. The Saints’ fourth goal came off the stick of senior defender Alex Moore off of a power play late in the first period. Moore also had an assist on Marchment’s second goal at the 16:12 mark of the second period.

On the Harvard side of the ice, things were relatively quiet, with the team amassing only 19 shots on goal during the 90 minutes of play. Senior left wing Sydney Daniels and junior forward Lexie Laing each lead the team in shots with four, while freshman forward Kat Hughes added three of her own.

The first period was riddled with penalties for the Crimson, with five different players called for infractions during the first 17 minutes of play. Only one Harvard penalty resulted in a power play goal for the Saints, who totaled five penalties on the day as well. The Crimson was able to outplay St. Lawrence of face offs, winning 26-of-44 in the contest.

Harvard 0, No. 8/8 Clarkson 4

Kicking off the team’s road games, Harvard played a tough first period of hockey in Potsdam, NY, with neither team scoring in the opening 20 minutes of play.

The Golden Knights (6-3-1, 2-0-0) came back from the first intermission ready to attack, which was made apparent by the goal scored within the first three minutes of play back on the ice.

At the 2:49 mark, senior forward Cayley Mercer was able to break the stalemate with help from teammates Loren Gabel and Michaela Pejzlova. The same trio came together again in the final minute of the period to put Clarkson up 2-0 going into the second intermission.

In the net for Harvard was senior Molly Tissenbaum, who suffered her first loss of the season on the back of a 33 save performance.

The Golden Knights put up their first power play goal of the night halfway through the third period when sophomore forward Rhyen McGill found the back of the net. Clarkson put the last nail in the coffin later in the game, when the last goal was scored by senior forward Jessica Gillham.

—Staff writer Ariel Smolik-Valles can be reached at ariel.smolik-valles@thecrimson.com.

Sports BriefsWomen's Ice HockeyGame Stories