Injured Sherman Out of Men's Hockey's Lineup for ECAC Semis

Sophomore defenseman Wiley Sherman (25) will not play tonight for the Crimson.
Sophomore defenseman Wiley Sherman (25) will not play tonight for the Crimson. By Mark Kelsey
By Jake Meagher, Crimson Staff Writer

UPDATED: March 18, 2016, at 7:09 p.m.

LAKE PLACID, N.Y. — Sophomore defenseman Wiley Sherman of the Harvard men's hockey team will not play again in this year's ECAC tournament. The 6’7” blue-liner suffered an upper body injury on Saturday in Game 2 of the No. 9/9 Crimson’s quarterfinals series with Rensselaer that left his availability for the weekend in doubt all week.

When Harvard's lineup for the Crimson's semifinals bout with No. 17/- St. Lawrence was released on Friday, Sherman was noticeably absent. Assistant Director of Athletic Communications Brock Malone also confirmed that the sophomore will not play in Saturday's championship game should Harvard advance to play No. 1/1 Quinnipiac.

Sherman did not travel with the team to Lake Placid on Wednesday, but he will be in the stands at Herb Brooks Arena with the rest of the Crimson's reserves, per Malone. Sherman stated Tuesday that he could not comment on injuries.

The Boston Bruins draft selection has played in all 31 games this season and has recorded four goals, a team-high among defensemen. The sophomore has also logged six assists and boasts a plus-nine rating.

Taking Sherman’s place on Harvard’s second defensive unit alongside Brayden Jaw will be freshman Adam Baughman. Sophomore Thomas Aiken will skate with rookie Viktor Dombrovskiy on the third pairing.

On Tuesday while Sherman’s availability remained in question, Jaw said that his defensive partner had been changing every day in practice.

“We have very capable people of stepping up and playing in Wiley’s position,” Jaw said Tuesday. “I’m confident in whoever I’m paired with, and I think we’ll do great.”

Baughman, who made his debut against Princeton on Jan. 29 and has played every game since, will assume that role.

Meanwhile, Aiken has played in just four games this season, and he stands at minus-2. Two of those games, however, were played on an Olympic-sized sheet at Mariucci Arena in Minneapolis.

With Friday night’s game being played on “the” Olympic sheet at Herb Brooks Arena in Lake Placid, N.Y., Aiken’s experience in the Mariucci Classic may explain why he was given the edge over freshman Jake Olson and junior Victor Newell.

“Our team as a whole has a lot of depth,” said junior forward Tyler Moy, who told The Crimson on Tuesday that he could not comment on the injury but did address the possibility of Sherman being sidelined.

“I don’t think our game plan changes, whatever lineup combination there is," he said. "We have a lot of confidence in the players we have, so whatever happens, I think we’ll be prepared.”

“We have no excuses whatsoever.”

Moy will return to the lineup tonight to center the fourth line after missing three straight games with a lower body injury.

—Staff writer Jake Meagher can be reached at jake.meagher@thecrimson.com.

Men's Ice Hockey