‘Krapopolis’ Season 1 Premiere Review: How to Insert the Present Viewer into the Past

"Krakopolis" Premiere Review
"Krakopolis" Premiere Review By Nayeli Cardozo
By Nell G. Cunningham, Contributing Writer

For all who wondered when the world of adult animation would finally turn its attention to the project of satirizing Ancient Greek life, worry not: The wait is over. As of Sept. 24 Dan Harmon is back with “Krapopolis,” which is already to be a great new addition to the lineage of adult animated comedies.

If one were to drop “Modern Family” into an imaginary kingdom in Ancient Greece, they would end up with “Krapopolis.” The show centers Tyrannis (Richard Ayoade), the mortal king of Krapopolis, and his wacky array of family members. This show fits itself very comfortably into the archetypes of adult animation and family sitcoms because of its quirky familial cast of characters and episodic structure; however, by placing itself in a unique setting and time period, it is very diligent in distinguishing itself and offering a fun and fresh spin on a genre which has been used and reused time and time again.

“Krapopolis” brings together an exceptional cast of voice actors. Tyrannis, king of Krapopolis, is a bit of a weakling who avoids physical confrontation and instead prefers to talk his way out of things. Who would be better to inhabit this character than Richard Ayoade, whose British formality and nerdy charm make him a perfect fit for the role? Even more striking is Hannah Waddingham, who plays Deliria, Tyrannis’ narcissistic goddess mother whose snarky and outlandish approach to the character is truly commendable. Even the show’s most minor cameo characters were perfectly cast. Broseidon, Poseidon’s douchey son, is perfectly voiced by Dave Franco, whose Californian demeanor and bro-y attitude allow him to completely sell the character.

There wouldn’t be anything for the voice actors to deliver if it wasn’t for the show’s sense of humor and skillful writing. “Krapopolis” is very aware of the time period in which it is set, and uses modern wit to wonderfully satirize the imaginary lives of the Ancient Greeks. While addressing his loyal subjects, Tyrannis attempts to flip his throne around and sit on it backwards in a very man-of-the-people way. He is thwarted by not being able to see over the high back of his throne, and yells offstage, “Can someone tell the throne maker I like to get real?” The writers use moments like these to set a tone of complete unseriousness and simple relatability that the viewer easily becomes acquainted with from the very first episode.

Apart from grounding itself in a contemporary sense of humor and style of dialogue, “Krapopolis” also retains the attention of the viewer by pushing characters with modern attitudes and placing them into very unfamiliar ancient contexts. Tyrannis’s powerful godly mother Deliria is no stranger to the dramatic. At one point she attempts to leave a family discussion by standing up, exclaiming “random animal exit” into the air, promptly turning into a shark and flopping around on the floor for a bit before correcting her action to a “random land animal exit,” turning into an ostrich and waddling off screen. Indeed, Deliria is one of many extravagant drama queens who can be found in modern media. However, capitalizing on the unique time period which she inhabits in order to create comic relief is something that sets her apart from modern characters who appear to be just like her. By using its time period as a comedic crutch, “Krapopolis” stands out amongst its contemporaries.

“Krapopolis” is a wonderful new family comedy show in the genre of adult animation. Given the modern tone of its writing, it can be enjoyed by any casual viewer. And, for anyone looking to poke a little fun at the usual uniformity of period pieces, this show provides a lighthearted and modern tone in a time period which is traditionally treated as dramatic and serious. “Krapopolis” has come out of the gates as a truly enjoyable watching experience, and viewers should be excited for all its first season has to offer.

ArtsTV