Artist Profile: Pritika Swarup on Forging New Paths in Fashion and Finance

Pritika A. Swarup looks straight into the camera.
Pritika A. Swarup looks straight into the camera. By Courtesy of Pritika Swarup
By Vikram M. Kolli, Contributing Writer

Pritika Swarup is not only red​​efining beauty, but also redefining what it means to break away from the well-trodden path and challenge convention.

“I was definitely on track to being an ophthalmologist,” said Swarup, highlighting what was originally her most probable outcome.

Raised in Virginia Beach, VA, she often cites her parents as the source of her diligence, persistence, and overall attitude to approaching the realm of business and life.

“I love learning. I’m a sponge — even now I learn 20 things a day and I really enjoy that,” said Swarup.

Education served as a foundation for her success, and even in the midst of her work as a model traveling the world and as an ambassador for organizations such as Operation Smile, Swarup still found comfort in the boundlessness of learning.

“I studied financial economics. I went to Columbia. I launched an investment firm at school. I really was going down this traditional path,” said Swarup.

Within Swarup’s driven mentality, there existed something deeper and more unconventional. Interested in modeling and fashion, and having previously worked with a firm on the direct deals team for marketability and haircare, she was faced with a daunting question.

“Am I going to do this so-called traditional path or is there a way that I can combine all of my experiences?”

Even now, Swarup questions what it means to be told to get a real job, as back then when she was confronted with divergent approaches leading to completely different futures, she, alongside her family, had no idea what it meant to combine her passions for fashion and finance.

Swarup has immersed herself in boundless experiences throughout her professional career and personal life, all of which show how she has truly shattered the conventional courses that once formulated right in front of her. And most notable was her entrance into the fashion industry, which was initially a completely new world for Swarup.

However, the newfound fame from modeling brought its own issues.

“I can’t fit the industry standards. You know, there was a singular notion of beauty.”

Yet that did not stop Swarup from making the changes in the fashion industry that were more than necessary.

“For me, I always felt as though people should embrace who they are and the fashion industry should be representative of the true diversity of the world,” said Swarup.

She evolved into more than just an activist, championing campaigns centered around South-Asian culture and striving to embrace the diversity within her own heritage. Simultaneously, she conceptualized what would later become her brand and company: Prakti Beauty.

Even in its conception, Swarup was breaking away from the expected. Alongside her business partner, she described how excited they both were about the idea of Prakti Beauty.

“We both talked about this for hours, it was supposed to be a five-minute coffee, turned into a two-hour coffee.”

Much like her parents encouraged her pursuit of education, the science behind the brand — traditional ingredients from Indian remedies and the Ayurvedic pharmacopeia — traces its roots back to her heritage and her family.

“I remember [being] four years old, doing these rituals and remedies with my mom.”

Prakti also grew out of an identical lack of representation and diversity Swarup witnessed in the fashion industry.

“We’re able to be multi-dimensional and engage in so many different roles and feel very confident and not have to conform to any certain standard.”

The cultural connection separates from traditional ideas of beauty.

“South Asian culture is a little bit different because it’s holistic wellness. It’s thinking about beauty from the inside out, and not really addressing necessarily the physical concerns, but it’s being the best you can be, balancing mind, body, and soul,” said Swarup.

Launched 18 months ago, Swarup is constantly asking herself questions: “What’s the next step in this grander vision?” From a business perspective, Swarup described how Prakti is entering several retail outlets and broadening the company’s presence.

Since diversity and inclusivity is at the core of Prakti, Swarup mentioned, “I just want us to be able to use our platform and partner with different causes.”

Expressed with passion on the website, “Prakti is proud to partner with Operation Smile.” The brand transcends the boundaries of beauty and wellness, as Swarup's background infuses it with a deeper purpose. It is designed to actively support the initiatives and affiliated organizations aligned with the brand's mission.

Just like the mentors Swarup has had along her journey of personal discovery and entrepreneurship, Swarup similarly acts as a guide to other hard-working individuals who question what it means to be multifaceted, balancing all of their passions simultaneously.

“The advice I would just give is to slow down a little bit and be in the moment more because I know that I’m always thinking what’s happening next,” said Swarup.

And she offered another piece of advice, one that may strike a chord in the hearts of individuals constantly facing challenges and taking on new challenges similar to Swarup.

“As you’re building your career, more opportunities will approach and of course, you’re going to want to take them on, but you have to have that sort of balance within first,” Swarup said.

Swarup ultimately illustrates that the unconventionalities of life’s journeys are not only possible but also manageable and fulfilling.

“You will ultimately find your path even if it’s not the traditional path, and it’s not what you thought you’d be doing. It will find you as well.”

On CampusArtsCampus Arts