Men's Club Ultimate Frisbee Advances to National Championship

By Ariel Smolik-Valles, Crimson Staff Writer

For the first time in program history, the Red Line, Harvard's men's ultimate frisbee team, will compete in the championship game of USA Ultimate's College Championship, held this weekend in Raleigh, N.C.

It has been a weekend of firsts for the Red Line, powering past Georgia and North Carolina on Sunday en route to taking its spot in the top two in the playing field.

In its first semifinals appearance ever, Harvard went up against the hometown favorite North Carolina Darkside in a game that was riddled with weather threats. The Red Line held a 7-5 lead before North Carolina cam back and tied the game at nine. With a 12-11 lead late in a game to 13, Harvard channelled recent USA national team qualifier John Stubbs for its final goal, extending its weekend of first-time appearances to the championship game of the tournament.

Earlier that day, the quarterfinals matchup between the Red Line and University of Georgia's Jojah Ultimate team saw five breaks in the game, spaced from beginning to end, and traded between the teams. Stubbs was once again Harvard's anchor on the field, drawing many Jojah defenders and opening up space for his teammates. The Red Line went on to win 14-13 in a move to the semis.

Harvard will match up against the Minnesota Grey Duck in the championship game today at 2:30 pm.

Check thecrimson.com for updates.

Sports Blog