Falling for Fall: How to Take Advantage of Harvard's Best Season

•
Changing fall foliage surrounds Widener Library on Monday afternoon.
Changing fall foliage surrounds Widener Library on Monday afternoon. By Melanie Y. Fu

You know it's time to say good-bye to the summer when Starbucks starts advertising its seasonal Pumpkin Spice Latte. And while you may be hesitant to pack up your swimsuit and sandals till next May, we're here to tell you that fall can be just as fun—if not more so—than summer ever was. Here are a few things you have to look forward to as we dive into #sweaterweather.

Apple Picking
What could be more wholesome than a Saturday afternoon spent with friends at the local orchard? The Brooksby Farm and Belkin Family Lookout Farm are two of many orchards near Boston that offer pick-your-own apples on weekends. If you're thinking, why go to an orchard when I can get free apples at the d-halls, just note that these farms have adorable barn animals as well as freshly baked pies, homemade fudge, and cider doughnuts (seriously, who could turn down all that?).

Fall Fashion
This season, the best time to wear a striped sweater really is all the time. With fall comes the onslaught of jewel tones, riding boots, and plaid. So. Much. Plaid. Exchange the shorts for long pants and relish in this moment when you can feel comfortable outside in only a light sweater. Walking through campus when all of the leaves around you begin to turn a school-spirited crimson is an incredible feeling. Just wait till late October when the leaves happen to match the color of the word "Harvard" embroidered on all of your college gear (think about it, your outfit will color coordinate with...the world. It's an Instagram opportunity worth waiting an entire year for).

Scented Candles
Now available in a whole range of scents, from spiced orange and cinnamon to pumpkin pie, replace the smells of a hot summer (namely sweat) with something straight from Grandma's kitchen. These technically aren't allowed in dorm rooms, but we won't tell anyone if you don't.

Reasonable Dorm Temperatures (without the fan!)
Fall means no more suffocating nights in your dorm room. Leave the windows open for fresh crisp air that will make staying in your room to work on a pset or a paper much more enjoyable.

It's been said that autumn is the most beautiful season of the year here at Harvard. So whatever you end up doing this fall, make sure to get out of Lamont from time to time, take a deep breath, and enjoy the scenery. The season doesn't last long, and Winter Is Coming.

Flyby BlogFlyby CampusFlyby CultureFlyby Front

Harvard Today

The latest in your inbox.

Sign Up

Follow Flyby online.