RESPECTABILITY vs. ROWDYISM.

WHEN the orator of the class of '76 told us the story of the last rush between Sophomores and Freshmen, we thought we should never hear anything more about hazing at Harvard. It is true that Princeton undergraduates still indulge in this old-time custom, and that the Faculty at Yale think it best to suppress the publication of the residences of Freshmen in view of the periodical cruelty of the Sophomoric soul; but hazing at Harvard we expected to see only in the pictures of "Student Life," or in the columns of the Boston Transcript.

Alas, we were mistaken. On the evening of so-called Bloody Monday a party of sportive Sophomores, led by some powerful motive, such as the love of "roughing" or the desire for free beer, sallied forth in quest of the guileless Freshman.

While some twenty men were engaged in subjecting a few inoffensive youths to various indignities, half a dozen members of the class entered the room and requested their classmates to leave the Freshmen alone. The effect was entirely satisfactory. The hazing party withdrew, and the men of '81 were left to retire to their peaceful beds at whatever hour they pleased.

The action of certain members of the class in putting a stop to this unmanly proceeding is commendable. When a heedless crowd try to revive a custom that college men have frowned upon for the last four years, and so far forget the sentiment of the College to-day, as to "bulldoze" lower classmen, it is time to recall them to their senses. The gentlemen, no matter what society they belong to, who have the high-toned feeling and the pluck to stop any attempts at hazing deserve the thanks and the respect of the whole College.

The class of '81 seems to need roughing less than any class that has come to Harvard for several years. Certainly it is not so painfully "cocky" as are most Freshman classes. Indeed, some of the class seem to feel that upper classmen consider them beneath their notice. For the consolation of such modest men we would say that unless a man gives himself away by knocking at the door of U. 5, or by calling the instructor "professor," he is not looked upon as an inferior being by any except senseless Sophomores. We are all liable to be taken in, at least once in our lives, and the recipients of those bogus summonses, we are sure, will find sympathizers in the Senior class.