BOAT-CLUB MEETING.

AT a meeting of the officers of the four boat-clubs and the Executive Committee of the H. U. B. C., held on Monday evening, resolutions were passed which cannot fail to be of interest to all who are concerned with boating at Harvard, whether they are in favor of class or club races.

The financial statements of the secretaries of the different clubs may be summed up as follows: The sum of $ 1,500 has been paid Mr. Blakey during the last year on the mortgage of $ 2,500 for the boats now in the boathouse. The balance, $ 1,000, is payable April 1 of this year. To meet this debt the clubs have on hand about $ 40, of which $ 30 belongs to Weld.

It was resolved that the stipulation insisting on a man's joining a club for not less than one year be removed, and that every one be allowed the use of the boats from the present date till June 30 on the payment of $ 6.50. This change opens the way for the formation next year of an University Club, - when our debts are paid, - and offers the use of boats and club-house for the remainder of the year at the lowest possible figure.

A decided position was taken by the president and officers in regard to the spring races. It was voted that negotiations be opened at once with the Union Boat-Club with a view of having a combination regatta on Charles River, to include the amateur rowing-associations of Boston and vicinity, this regatta to take place at least one week before the annual examinations, and to be open to sixes and fours. The Harvard four is to be taken from the second eight of the University, the six from the club sixes, after the spring race. The Union four has already a well-won reputation, and will make a very hard race. It is hoped that the Jamaica Rowing-Club will also enter the regatta.

The regular spring race between the four clubs will take place two weeks before the proposed regatta, but will exclude fours. It is proposed that there be on the same day a single-scull race for Harvard, Union, and other amateur rowing-associations of the vicinity.

It was the unanimous opinion of the meeting that the terms of the contract with Mr. Blakey ought to be adhered to, and that any attempt to shirk the payment of the mortgage - a mortgage which is not such a swindle as it is popularly supposed to be - would only result in the loss of our time and money, to say nothing of our honor and credit.

Now that the officers of the clubs have taken this manly position, the least the members can do is to give them their hearty support. The floats will probably be down before the end of this week, and the sixes ought to begin at once. It is from these four crews that the best six men will be chosen to represent Harvard in the combination regatta.

For those who row merely for pleasure peculiar advantages are offered this year. There have always been complaints that it was impossible to take out anything but singles and pairs because the four-oars and six-oars were kept for the crews. The six-oars now will be the only ones reserved for this purpose, while all the other craft will be at the disposal of any members of the clubs without regard to district.

A word must be said about the peculiar principles of honor that govern the actions of some men, who damage the boats seriously, and then refuse to pay for the repairs. No organization, however perfect, can present a good financial report when it has men of this class among its members.

G.H.D.