THE FRESHMAN MEETING.

A MEETING of the Freshman class took place on Thursday, the 28th of February. Mr. Whiting, the president of the class, after calling the meeting to order, explained in a short address that its object was to ascertain the general opinion in regard to rowing a race with the Freshman crew of Cornell. Some doubts having been expressed as to the captain's right to send or accept challenges, he stated that, as no executive committee had been appointed to decide such matters, Captain North had acted rightly, and in accordance with the custom of his predecessors, in accepting the challenge.

Mr. North being then asked to give some explanations in regard to the form of the challenge which had been sent, stated that it was for an eight-oared three-mile race, time and place to be agreed upon hereafter. Cornell accepted the challenge on condition that the crews should be six-oared, but as Captain North considered a six-oared race "impracticable," and abode by his challenge, this was accepted, after some delay, by the "Cornell Navy," an association understood to correspond to our University Boat-Club.

Captain North further gave out, as his opinion, that the best men in the class were training.

After this several speeches were made on both sides of the question, but generally in favor of rowing the race.

Mr. Whiting then introduced Captain Bancroft, who declined the responsibility of influencing the class in either direction, thinking it much better that they should decide for themselves. He said that, in his opinion, the class could not honorably withdraw from a race after what had passed, but if they were going to do so, it had better be at once than later. He concluded by proposing a ballot to decide on the general feeling of the class, of which a large majority was present. The motion was carried, and, a ballot being taken, it was decided by a large majority, and, upon reconsideration, unanimously, to row against Cornell, and support the crew. The meeting was then adjourned.

H. A. D.