THE CLASS CREWS.

THE chief interest in the coming class races is at present divided between the Senior and Junior crews, who, as far as can be judged, are very evenly matched. The Sophomores are organizing an eight, to be sure, and expect to take part in the contest; but they were so unlucky in the spring, and have begun to train so late, that they will have hard work to keep up with '80 and '81. The Freshmen, of course, are too inexperienced to take part in the race on the 25th.

It will be remembered that last May, '81 beat '80 by about eighteen seconds; but changes have been made in the latter crew, whereby it is much strengthened, and its chances of success are very good. The addition of Trimble, as stroke, is naturally the most important feature; his rowing seems to have lost none of its gracefulness in this new position; while Brigham, at No. 6, brings the experience of several University races. Of the other changes not so much need be said, save that, in the main, the crew is heavier than the old one, and is rowing fairly well. There is, however, a general tendency to hurry the stroke, which is consequently uneven. The following men compose the crew at present:-

Taylor, bow; Townsend, 2; Hatch, 3; Welling, 4; Hooper, 5; Brigham, 6; Simmons, 7; Trimble, stroke; F. H. Allen, coxswain.

The only alteration in the Junior crew is Otis, 5, in the place of C. H. W. Foster, and Hammond has taken Atkinson's place at bow, the latter going to 3. Although lighter than the Seniors, they row better together, and at this time the advantage seems to be slightly in their favor. The trifling difference, however, may easily be overcome in the course of the next fortnight. Following is the crew:-

Hammond, bow; Swan, 2; Atkinson, 3; Hemenway, 4; Otis, 5; Freeland, 6; Howard, 7; Brandegee, stroke; H. R. W. Browne, coxswain.

As this is the first attempt to hold class races in the autumn, it is to be hoped that they will prove successful enough to be continued in the future, for almost any system is preferable to the old scratch races.