A CHANCE ACQUAINTANCE.

THE following remarkable story was told me by an English clergyman this summer, and as he himself was the chief actor in it, I have no doubt but what it is perfectly true in every particular.

"During one of the many winters I spent in Paris, I had occasion to go to Rouen, partly for pleasure and partly on business. The depth of winter is never a pleasant time to travel, and especially is it a dreary task in the French railways. My only companion in the carriage was a fine-looking middle-aged man, who had all the appearance not only of a gentleman, but of an aristocrat, and who, after learning that I was an Englishman, conversed most fluently and delightfully in my own tongue during the whole of our long ride. Just before arriving he handed me his card, and said that he should call on me the next day and see if there was any thing he could do for me. His card read thus: Dr. De Beauville, Practising Physician, 14 Rue Berry.

"According to his promise he appeared the next day and took me to drive in his own private carriage; and all through my stay nothing could exceed the kindness which he showed me. One rather peculiar circumstance that I remarked was, that he would never allow me to come to his house, not even letting me walk home with him.

"Just before I left to return to Paris, I received a short note from the Doctor, asking me if I would not kindly take charge of a lady friend of his who was going by the same train to Paris. Arrived at the station I found the Doctor had established his friend in a carriage, and was waiting to introduce me. After returning from buying my ticket I was surprised to find a most peculiar odor in the carriage, but the Doctor quickly explained that it was nothing but the odor of a strong dose his friend had been obliged to take to strengthen herself for the journey. All this time the lady, who was dressed in black and closely veiled, never said a word; and as soon as we were off I addressed her a few words, and finding she did not answer left her to herself, thinking perhaps she was too tired to converse.

"All through the night I slept, not waking up till just as we arrived in Paris. I jumped out to look for the people who had been described to me, and who were said to be going to meet her, but seeing no one I returned to the carriage. What was my surprise to find it surrounded by a crowd of excited porters and gendarmes. I was immediately arrested by several gendarmes, and on demanding the reason, I was told that I was the murderer of the lady in the carriage, whom they said I had poisoned sometime during the night. True enough, the woman was dead, and in all probability I had been travelling all night with a corpse for my companion.

"Explain as I might, when brought to the Court of Inquiry, it was very evident to the Judge that I was guilty, and I was only set free on receipt of a very large sum as bail.

"There were several months before my trial, and during that time the case was very thoroughly worked up, both by the government and at my own expense. Thinking that it could all be easily explained if I saw Dr. De Beauville, I went to his house in Rouen with two witnesses. What was my amazement to be ushered into the presence of a man I had never seen before! It then all flashed across me: I had been the tool of a very cunning criminal.

"And so it turned out; for after a long search the so-called Dr. De Beanville was found, and at the end of a long and cleverly defended trial, he was convicted of the murder of his wife by giving her poison just as she left for Paris."