HARVARD UNION.

The meeting last night was presided over by Mr. Saunders, in the absence of the president. The question debated was, "Resolved. That suffrage in the United States should be limited by an educational qualification." The leading disputants were Messrs. Darling, '84, and Ramage, '84, in the affirmative, and Messrs. Pearmain, '83, and Carrier, '85, in the negative. The suggestion of one of the speakers in the negative, that if any educational qualification were to be required, it should be a graded one, in which every Harvard graduate was to have ten votes, and every Yale graduate five votes, was received with great applause.

After the debate was thrown open to the house the affirmative side of the question was supported by Messrs. Loeb, Nichols, McDuffie and Wilson, while the negative was upheld by Messrs. McInness and Lane. At 9 o'clock the debate was returned to the principal disputants; after which the result of the secret ballot taken at the beginning of the meeting on the merits of the question was announced in favor of the affirmative. The vote by show of hands on the merits of the debate resulted in favor of the negative.

The next half hour was frittered away in trying to decide on a question of debate for the next meeting. The meeting rejected one subject after another, voting to reconsider the vote, and then rejecting the subject again. One or two gentlemen became so entangled in the snarl of amendments and amendments to amendments, that they did not know on which side they were voting, and had to ask leave to change their votes; while another gentleman seriously proposed that the union discuss the topic of "Free Tariff." The question finally decided on was : "Resolved, That the present tendency of athletics at Harvard is for the best interests of the university."