No Headline

Now that the mid-years are so near at hand the old complaints about examination methods occur to everybody. While a certain number of disagreeable features always attach to these periods from the nature of the case, there are certain abuses which can be to a great extent remedied. One of these abuses is the uncertainty one always feels after having completed his papers as to how near the truth he approximated in his answers. We do not refer to the custom some instructors have of not giving marks, as this needs no comment. But a mark alone is always unsatisfactory enough if the man does not know in what his book is weak. The only way to have examinations do any good besides fixing, though with a delightful degree of uncertainty, his rank, is for the instructor to return to every student his blue-book with corrections. This may entail a little more labor on the instructor, but the satisfaction felt by the students will amply repay the extra trouble. This is already done by some instructors, but the practice is not so universal as it should be. We hope that instructors will feel that the extra work will be appreciated by their students.