INTERPRETING THE RULES.

W. C. Camp, of Yale, thus writes to the Clipper: "The intention of the convention was to show the public that we, as players, do not regard off-side play as "cheating" or "dishonorable action" in the least; that it is a part of the play, but we limit it for the sake of the game, the same as we used to limit a pitcher in unfair delivery. Hence the rule that "A player shall be off-side but twice during a game " then, when the referee has said: "You have been off-side twice," he cannot make a third without disqualification. The referee has also the power to disqualify for violation of the "unfair-tactics" rule; but referees were instructed to exercise "ordinary common sense,' and not make disqualification a mere means for judges to accomplish the withdrawal of a player whom they feared, not yet a meaningless term at which all would laugh and no one fear. The other changes are slight, rule 11 being filled up by pushing back 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17. The ball is not put in play after a catch by two touching it; but if it touches the ground it is, the idea of the whole being to eliminate all "fisticuffs" but not affect the dash, spirit and courage required for the game.