BOWDOIN PRIZES, 1882 - 33.

The following prizes have been awarded:

I.

To George Pellew, A. B., 1880, of the Law School, a prize of $100 for a dissertation entitled "A Critical Estimate of Miss Austen's Novels."

To George Lyman Kittredge, A. B., 1882, a prize of $100 for a translation into Attic prose.

To Charles Bingham Penrose, A. B., 1881, graduate student in Physics, a prize of $100 for a dissertation on "The Storage of Electrical Energy."

II.

To Heinrich Conrad Bierwirth, junior, a prize of $75 for a dissertation on "The Doctrine and Method of Socrates."

To Edward Wheeler Frost, junior, a prize of $50 for a dissertation entitled "Henrietta Maria and Marie Antoinette compared as to Character and Career."

To Lewis Edward Gates, junior, a prize of $50 for a dissertation entitled "A Critical Estimate of Miss Austen's Novels."

III. a.

To Arthur Richmond Marsh, senior, a prize of $75 for a dissertation on "The Revival of Greek Learning in Italy."

III. b.

To Philip Henry Goepp, junior, a prize of $50 for a translation into Latin prose.

IV.

To Francis Britain Fay, senior, a prize of $50 for a dissertation on "The International Signal Service."

To Charles Alexander Whittemore sophomore, a prize of $50 for a dissertation on "The Storage of Electrical Energy."

Judges: On literary philosophical and historical subjects - Messrs. T. W. Higginson, Roger Wolcott and Dr. Royce; on classical subjects and translations - Rev. Dr. J. H. Thayer. Prof. J. B. Sewall and Prof. Dyer; on scientific subjects - Mr. Alexander Agassiz. Prof. Shaler, Prof. E. H. Dolbear and Mr. Edward Burgess.