TENNIS.

Final Arrangement in Regard to Courts.

The Tennis Association having received authority from the corporation to take charge of the ground devoted to tennis, have passed the rules given below in regard to the use of courts. One of the chief objects gained by these rules is that the Tennis Association becomes a body in more than name, taking complete charge of the courts and receiving an income by which they will be enabled to pay their necessary expenses. A large part of the money received from those who become members of the association will be expended in paying to a certain extent for marking the courts, to which all members of the association will therefore contribute in part. The charge to the holders of the courts for marking them will consequently be much reduced. The full particulars of the arrangement to be made in regard to the charges for marking courts, will be published soon. The Tennis Association moreover hopes that the following rules will enable much more use to be made of the courts than has been the case hitherto. The rules allow any member of the association to use a court provided a holder of the court does not wish to use it. Believing that the following rules will be a great improvement on the present lack of system and are as good as can at present be devised, the Tennis Association ask all tennis players to second their endeavor to introduce some system into the management of the tennis courts.

Rules Governing the Use of the Tennis Courts.1. No court can be held by less than four persons or more than six. All the holders of a court (whether undergraduates or in one of the schools) must be of the same class, or if men of different classes wish to hold a court together, their right to the court shall cease with the graduation or departure from the university of the holder or holders who belong to the class (whether in a college or in a school) that would graduate first. No one can be a holder of more than one court.

2. All who regard themselves as holders of courts or any ground belonging to the college shall hand in their names (designating the courts) to the secretary of the association on or before Tuesday, May 8th. But each application must contain not more than six or less than four names, (according to rule 1) and be accompanied by a fee of half a dollar for each name. This fee will constitute the applicant a member of the association for the rest of the college year.

3. The tenure of a court shall be subject to the following conditions: The holders of a court must take proper care of it and see to its marking out, rolling, etc.; if, in the judgement of the executive committee of the association, the holders of a court do not take proper care of it, the holders can, at the discretion of the executive committee, be deprived of its use.

4. The holders of a court shall have the first right to its use.

5. Any member of the university can join the association for the rest of the college year by sending in his name to the secretary of the association and paying at the same time the fee of half a dollar. Any member of the association shall have the right of using a court at any time provided a holder of the court does not wish to use it, but those who are not members of the association shall not be allowed to use the courts, or, if they do so, shall have to yield to members of the association desiring to use them.

6. If any holder or holders of a court leave the university or do not wish to remain longer holders of the court, the remaining holder or holders can retain the court provided they immediately fill up the number of holders to at least four. This is, however, subject to the limitations of rule one.

7. For the present the marking of new courts shall be left to individual enterprise, but when a new court is marked out its tenure shall become subject to these rules.

8. All who play on the courts must wear tennis shoes.

9. The executive committee of the association shall decide all points arising under these rules, and all points not covered by these rules, and if in their judgment the spirit though not the letter of these rules has been violated in any case, they shall take what action they think fit.

Other rules in regard to the distribution of vacant courts, etc., are under consideration, but it is believed that these will cover, for the present, all necessary points.