AN EXCITING GAME.

DARTMOUTH 3: HARVARD 9.

The weather conditions of Saturday afternoon were all that could have been desired for good ball playing, and the cloudless sky brought an assembly of some 600 to Holmes Field to witness the final game in the Dartmouth-Harvard series.

THE GAME.Harvard took the field, sending the visitors to the bat. The first inning was opened by Springfield, who reached first on a missed third strike, and wild throw by Allen, but was left on third by the retirement of the next three men. For Harvard, Beaman got his base on balls, and went to second on a passed ball, but careless base running resulted in his being put out between second and third. Tilden hit hard for two bases to right field, and was followed by Nichols, who drove the ball to long left field for a home run. Willard was put out at first on a missed third strike. Allen made a clean two bagger. Smith got his base on balls. At this point in the game, Dillon be came discouraged, and took Brill's place at centre. Brill promptly closed the inning by striking out Foster, leaving two men on bases, and the score 2 to 0 for Harvard. For Dartmouth the second inning opened by Chellis' getting his base on balls, and stealing second and third, where he was left, as the next three men struck out. Harvard also failed to score, although Beaman hit safely, and Winslow was sent to first on balls. In the third, after two men had gone out on strikes, Weeks hit sharply to Beaman, who made a beautiful one hand stop and throw to first. Harvard was quickly disposed of, only one man reaching first. The fourth inning was exciting. Hale opened with a strong three base hit; Quackenboss followed with a two-bagger, bringing in Hale, and was advanced to third on Chellis' put out; Brill hit to centre-field for three bases, and scored on Tilden's wild throw; McCarthy struck out, and Artz hit to Smith, and was fielded out at first. In Harvard's half of the inning, the first three men at bat went out in order. Score 3 to 2 against Harvard. Errors by Edgerly and Nichols allowed two men to reach bases in the fifth, but they were not allowed to score. For Harvard, Tilden reached first and went to second on two errors by Chellis, and took third and home on put-outs; Nichols, Willard, and Allen were put out at first. Score 3 to 3. Neither side increased the score in the sixth, and in the seventh Dartmouth went out in order. In the last half of the seventh, Harvard scored five runs. Winslow led off with a hit, took second and third on a wild pitch and passed ball, and scored on Tilden's hit; Beaman flied out; Tilden hit safely, and was brought in by Nichols' three-base hit; Willard hit for two-bases, bringing in Nichols, took third on Allen's single, and scored on an attempted put-out which sent Allen to third; a wild throw by Brill allowed Allen to score; Smith was given his base on balls, and Foster went to first on an error, but both were kept form scoring. Harvard, after keeping the visitors from scoring in the eighth, added a run to the score. Beaman and Tilden went out at first; Nichols sent the ball to left field for his second home run; Willard stepped to the bat, but in striking at the ball, sprained his knee severely; Wiestling took his place, and made a clean two-bagger, but was left on second by Allen, who was fielded out at first. In the ninth, Dartmouth failed to score, the first two hits being beautifully stopped and fielded by Beaman.

The game was well played and exciting. The battery work for Harvard was excellent; Nichols pitched a most effective game, and was splendidly supported by Allen. Beaman's play at third was brilliant. Nichols score of two home runs and a three-bagger has seldom been equalled on Holmes, and Allen and Tilden also did good work with the bat. For the visitors, Hale led in both batting and fielding.

The score.

DARTMOUTH.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Springfield, r. f., 4 0 0 0 0 0 0

Weeks, l. f., 4 0 0 0 1 0 0

Hale, 1b., 4 1 2 4 12 0 0

Quackenboss, 3b., 4 1 1 2 0 2 1

Chellis, 2b., 2 0 0 0 1 2 2

Brill, c. f. and p. 4 1 1 3 1 8 3

McCarthy, s. s., 4 0 0 0 1 2 1

Artz, c., 4 0 0 0 7 4 2

Dillon, p. and c. f., 4 0 0 0 1 2 2

Totals. 34 3 4 9 24 20 11

HARVARD.A.B. R. B.H. T.B. P.O. A. E.

Beaman, 3b., 4 0 1 1 1 4 0

Tilden, l. f., 5 3 2 3 0 0 1

Nichols, p., 5 3 3 11 0 18 3

Willard, 1b., 4 1 1 2 6 0 0

Allen, c., 5 1 2 3 14 2 3

Smith, 2b. and 1b., 2 0 0 0 4 1 0

Foster, c. f., 4 0 0 0 1 1 0

Edgerly, s. s., 4 0 0 0 0 1 1

Winslow, r. f., 2b. 3 1 1 1 1 0 1

Wiestling, r. f., 1 0 1 2 0 0 0

Totals, 37 9 11 23 27 27 9

Innings, 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Dartm'th, 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 0 0- 3

Harvard, 2 0 0 0 1 0 5 1 -9

Earned runs, Dartmouth, 2; Harvard, 5. Two-base hits, Quackenboss, Tilden, Allen, Willard, Wiestling. Three-base hits, Brill, Hale, Nichols. Home runs, Nichols (2). First base on balls, by Dillon, 2; Brill, 2; Nichols, 2. First base on errors, Dartmouth, 5; Harvard, 3. Struck out, by Dillon, 1; Brill, 7; Nichols, 16. Double play, Foster- Smith. Passed balls, Artz, 3; Allen, 1. Wild pitches, Brill. 1. Left on bases, Dartmouth, 5; Harvard, 7. Umpire, Mr. A. L. Grant, of Lawrence. Time, 2h. 45m.