The Heidelberg Jubilee. I.

The University of Heidelberg stands among the oldest as well as among the most famous of all the universities. Only seven of them are her seniors: Bologna (1140), Paris (1142), Oxford (1200), Padua (1222), Salamanca (1250), Prague (1348), Vienna (1356). Among these seven only one, Oxford, can claim to rival her in glory. It was to be expected that when the five hundredth anniversary of her birthday came around, not only the alumni of the university and the inhabitants of Heidelberg, but scholars of every name and tongue, from all over Christendom, would flock together to take part in the glorious celebration. For weeks beforehand the whole city was in a bustle of anxious preparation. There was erected on the banks of the Neckar an enormous Jubilee Building, in which 7,000 people could be seated. Every house was decorated with bunting and evergreen, and from every house-top floated the twin yellow and red of the Duchy of Baden. From all points of the compass long railroad trains came pouring in; all the hotels were filled; the streets were thronged; every face was aglow with enthusiasm.

The celebration began at eight o'clock Monday evening, August 2, with a reception, by the municipal authorities, of the distinguished visitors, among whom were the Crown Prince of Germany and the Grand Duke of Baden. The exercises were brief, consisting mostly of music by the band and the singing of a hymn written especially for the occasion by the late lamented Scheffel.

Tuesday morning there was a short religious service in the Heiliggeistkirche, after which the present and former members of the university were addressed by the Crown Prince. His Royal Highness, a tall, full-bearded man of commanding presence, spoke at some length, and gave his speech quite a political flavor, referring not only to the university's glorious history, but to the especially important part which she had played in fostering a spirit of national unity and thus rendering possible the present imperial government, "which is now Germany's safeguard and strength." The Grand Duke of Baden, who is Rector Magnificentisimus of the university, welcomed the guests present; and in behalf of the university returned loyal thanks to the Emperor for his kind patronage of the celebration, and to the Pope, who honored the occasion by several valuable gifts to the scientific department. In the evening the alumni and guests repaired to the Castle, which was all aflame with light and splendor. The old drawbridge was a bower of evergreens; the courtyard was as gay as flowers and banners and bands and electric lights could make it. Passing through the low-arched passage that leads to the promenade, we come upon a scene of revelry which we shall not soon forget. The altan is covered with tables and chairs; and busy waiters are dashing madly about with fluid refreshment. Above us looms the beautiful facade of the castle, its grim statues and stone gorgons, its fluting and arabesques, all that is uncouth and grotesque and mournful and majestic, flooded over with electric light and thrown into sharp relief. Far beneath us twinkle the lights of Heidelberg, from whose distant streets a gentle murmur is upborne. About us are throngs of students in their bright colored caps; old veterans are clasping each other's hands and recalling by-gone days; grave professors grow ruddy and boyish; the younger students sing snatches of college songs; and limitless beer is flowing, together with Rhine wine as yellow and bright as fluid gold, hoarded for many a year in sunless vaults. Glee, good fellowship and merrymaking are the order of the hour, and it will be late indeed before the last song has been sung and the-last reveller leaves the deserted castle. There will be a cut in Philosophy 4 to-morrow.

On Wednesday morning the members of the university, past and present, formed at the university and marched to the Heiliggeistkirche to hear the oration, the central literary feature of the jubilee, pronounced by Dr. Kuno Fisher. There is no more noted man in Heidelberg to-day than Kuno Fisher, and none whose works are better known in the United States. American students at Heidelberg are always partial to him, both because of his celebrity and because of his exceptionally clear and distinct pronunciation of his mother tongue. But still he is not to be recommended to the young beginner in German. His lectures are almost all on Philosophy of the most profound and abstruse nature.

Those who have ever grappled with German philosophy and who know the complex and altogether tremendous nature of its vocabulary, can imagine how much meaning such discourses would convey to one still mourning over the mazes of Otto and Ollendorf.

It was an impressive scene in the old church, and one which called up many memories. On this very spot and in a church of the same name, Ruprecht I five hundred years before dedicated the university to religion and knowledge. The building was filled to the last man possible. The oration was a masterly production, and was delivered in a manner befitting the great occasion. Like all Germans, Doctor Fisher is nothing if not exhaustive; and in the course of the two hours and a half that he occupied. he succeeded in exhausting, not only his subject but his entire audience. The Grand Duke and the Duchess, indeed, preserved an admirable appearance of attentiveness; but everyone else began to fidget at the end of the second hour and hailed the peroration with an enthusiasm in which a feeling of relief was plainly perceptible. The oration dealt with the history of the university and with the causes and proofs of her almost unrivalled glory. It was far too comprehensive for me to attempt any analysis of it here.

A. M. CUMMINGS.