Dr. Richardson's Lecture.

The last lecture on Emergencies and Hygiene was given in Sanders Theatre last night. On account of the length to which the subject of hemorrhages carried him, the lecturer could touch but lightly upon the other topics of the evening, scalds, burns, and frost-bites.

A hemorrhage, if not promptly attended to, proves fatal, as a rule. Its symptoms, though sometimes concealed, are usually visible, these being weakness of pulse, difficult respiration, coldness in extremities, and clammy perspiration. Arteries and veins run side by side to every part of the body, even in the tissue of the blood-vessels themselves. The artery leads into the vein, which then broadens out to a greater size than the artery, thus allowing the blood to return more slowly through them to the heart. The principle arteries are two running up the neck and branching over the face and brain; two conveying blood to the arm, of which one runs along the biceps, and the other along the inner side of the upper arm; and one which takes blood to the lower extremities. dividing above the pelvis and sending a branch down through each leg.

A hemorrage of the brain artery is the most dangerous one possible, as blood flows to the brain from two directions. The lecturer gave a vivid exposition of these various arteries by painting them on the naked body of a young boy, who stood the ordeal well. The proper place for pressure to stop the flow of blood, are the neck, behind the collar-bone, the inner side of the upper arm, the part over the hip bone, and the inside of the thigh. Hot and cold applications are also of use.

The clearness and interest of the lecture was greatly enhanced by the beautiful drawing with which the lecturer illustrated his successive steps.