The May Monthly.

The advance sheets of the Harvard Monthly for May are out. The leading article is "Meleager of Gadara," by Asst. Prof. James G. Croswell. It comes very a propos with the awakened interest in the Greek authors of lighter literature, which the Princeton theatricals have affected. Prof. Croswell gives a charming sketch of the old Greek epigrammatist. The second meaty article in this number is Mr. Houghton's admirable review of the poet Browning's work. The criticism is very thorough and taken from no one-sided standpoint either. It is given in Mr. Houghton's clear manner and is a strong addition to the columns of the Monthly.

The two marked features of the number, however, are Mr. Leahy's story of the French shepherd boy who is fou, and Mr. Berenson's "Heinrich Jung-Stillung." It connot but make us proud, as Harvard students, that such work is being done among us. Mr. Leahy, in his story, has touched a note much higher in both strength and purity than is reached in the mass of college work. We would only suggest that he might have gained even greater strength, had he followed more closely the brevity and compactness in the formation of his sentences, which is a strong point of French writers. Mr. Berenson's account of Jung-Stilling is told in an intensely interesting manner, and with great lucidity. The poems contributed to this number are, "Spring-Time in Italy" by Mr. F. S. Palmer, "Dum Favet Nox" by Mr. Sanford, and "Ghosts" by Mr. Houghton.