The Inter-Collegiate Base-Ball Season.

At this critical point in the contest for the inter-collegiate base-ball championship, a brief resume of the season so far may be of interest to those who have followed it only in a general way.

The season opened April 28 with the loosely played exhibition game between Harvard and Brown, on Holmes, which was won by the former, 23 - 4. On Saturday, May 1, came the Harvard-Brown game at Providence, 22 - 3; and the Yale-Williams game at Williams-town, 11 - 3 in favor of Yale. On the 5th, the Princeton-Brown game at Princeton resulted in an easy victory for Princeton, 10 - 6. The trip of the 'varsity to New Haven and Amherst, on the 8th and 10th, was rendered unproductive of results, owing to rain at both places. The Yale game was postponed to June 19, and the Amherst, to June 28. The Brown Amherst game of the 8th was also postponed.

On May 12, Yale beat Amherst at New Haven 6 - 1. The scheduled Yale Princeton game of the 15th was postponed to June 2. On the same date, 15th, Harvard beat Williams badly on her on grounds, batting hard and fielding well; score, 13 - 2. On the 18th, Harvard won another victory over Williams, beating her 26 - 1. The next day Williams played a close and exciting game with Brown at Providence, winning with a score of 2 - 0. Errors, 3 - 2.

On the 22nd, Harvard was given her first whitewash in the inter collegiate series for several years, Princeton beating her, 3 - 0. Errors, 1 - 3. The college was partially condoled by the news from Amherst that Yale had been beaten on the same day by the Amherst team. The score was 5 - 4, with 7 bases for 9 for each team. Errors, 1 - 4. At the end of the third week of the contest, this left Amherst and Princeton tied for first place, Harvard next, then Yale, Williams and Brown. Four games had been postponed.

May 24, Williams won her second championship game from Brown. hitting Gunderson hard, score, 8 - 3. The Brown Harvard game of the 26th was postponed till June 8th. On the same day Princeton won a very exciting game from Amherst at Princeton. The score was tied in the eighth inning, when Princeton made two runs, beating 4 - 2. On the 29th, came the Prince ton-Brown game at Providence, 4 - 0, and the Williams-Amherst game at Williamstown, won by the former amid great rejoicings, score, 6 - 4. Harvard played an exhibition game with Yale on Holmes on the same day. This was won by Harvard, 14 - 2. The distinguishing features of the game were the errors of Yale, 18 in the battery, and 10 in the field. In the three championship games since, she has made only 19 errors, altogether, nearly 1-3 less. The fourth week closed with Princeton still at the head, Harvard second, Yale third.

Yale beat Williams easily at New Haven, May 31, by the score, 10 - 3. On the same day the Harvard-Princeton game was played on Holmes. This game, perhaps the finest ever seen at Cambridge, needs no description to bring it to mind. This defeat, with the defeats suffered at the hands of Yale June 2 and 5, practically puts Princeton out of the race. The score in the first Yale-Princeton game was 9-8, and that in the second 12-2. In the latter game Princeton played poorly, making 21 errors. The game between Brown and Amherst at Providence, June 2, resulted in a victory for the former, 8 - 7. The Princeton-Amherst game June 7, resulted 6 - 2 in favor of Princeton. The Harvard-Brown game on Tuesday, 13 - 1, tied us for the time with Yale, but the game yesterday with Amherst, put the former slightly ahead again, The standing of the clubs to date: Yale, won 6, lost 1; Harvard won 5, lost 1; Princeton, won 5, Lost 3; Brown, won 1, lost 7; Amherst, won 1, lost 5; Williams, won 3, lost 4.