The Freshmen Decide

TO ROW YALE ON THE CHARLES OR NOT AT ALL.

At half past seven last evening the freshmen began to assemble in great numbers in Holden Chapel, till it became crowded out of all proportion to its seating - or standing - capacity. President Dexter called the meeting to order.

Captain Keyes of the University crew was the first speaker. He spoke in a non-committal way, stating that the action of the freshmen was not to be made hastily, but that they must decide whether they wished to establish a precedent for future classes; he also spoke of the bad condition of the course, and thought Harvard ought to keep up the old traditions of the Columbia freshman race unaltered. Mr. T. Q. Browne, '88 followed him in the same tone.

The debate then became general, with an evident and delightful disregard of parliamentary rules, the chairman allowing his good nature to overrule his excellent judgment in many cases.

The debate languished, till a motion of Mr. Duncan's, amended by Mr. Hunnewell, that a committee of five should confer with old oarsmen and report at a future meeting, was voted down. An informal vote was taken on the question of admitting Yale; the secretary appointed Messrs. Tyson, Stout, Woods and Garrison, tellers: yeas, 85; nays. 45. The debate now became very animated, and somewhat tiresome; Messrs. Duncan, Lund, Hutchinson, Lund, Fairbanks, and Tilton sustaining the affirmative side of the argument, and Messrs. Hunnewell, Crowninshield and Post, the negative.

A motion by Mr. Armes, that Yale be not admitted was lost. Mr. Duncan moved that Yale be admitted; Mr. Sheffield amended: "That Harvard accept Yale's challenge to a race. The race, however, to take place over the Charles River course." After a tedious debate, the amendment was carried with but small opposition, to the considerable surprise of many present, and the amended motion was carried unanimously. The meeting broke up at nine o'clock with cheers for Captain Keyes.

As the matter stands now, Harvard '90 will row Columbia '90, at New London; and Yale '90, has the option of rowing on the Charles or not at all.