Yale's Foot-Ball Team.

CANDIDATES FOR POSITIONS IN FIELD PRACTICE-TRACK ATHLETES.

New Haven, Oct. 1.-The Yale foot-ball team is at present in a very chaotic condition. The men have not got into training, and almost everybody is more or less under the weather with sore arms, legs and bodies. The candidates for the team, numbering some forty men, have been out to the field for practice every day for a week, but as yet there has been but little real playing. One thing has been established beyond a doubt, and that is that the Yale eleven this year will be inferior in several respects to that of last season. In the first place two of the best men in the rush line have gone. There seems to be no available material to fill the vacancies. Robinson, '89, is a good man, but he cannot fill Captain Corwin's shoes as end rush, nor can either Pratt, '88, or Cross, '88, do the work done by Buchanan last season. The rush line will therefore be weaker than last year, and rather lighter. It is doubtful if it will average 165 pounds whereas it ought to average at least ten pounds heavier. Wallace, the best end rush in the country, is laid up at present with a sprained ankle and may not be able to play for a week or more. Watkinson's play at half-back is sadly missed, and it is doubtful if those long low, wicked punts of his will ever be duplicated by any player. Morrison, who was one of last year's half-backs, kicks fairly well, but the ball goes too high in the air. Graves, the full back of last season's Andover eleven is playing half-back with Morrison at present. He is a stout, well built man and a tolerably fast runner. He is one of the best of the new men. Shaw, '90, is playing full back and gives promise of becoming a good man.

Carter has not yet returned to college, but when he does he will occupy his old position in the rush line. Woodruff, Gill and Carter are all crew men, and they make a trio in the foot-ball team that will make it exceedingly hot for opposing elevens. Harry Beecher is doing his old-time work as quarter-back. He is as quick as a cat and as strong as a moose. He is the captain of the team, and as such is well liked by all the men, from whom he bids fair to get the best work of which they are capable.

The team was to have played with Wesleyan on Thursday, but rain prevented. A series of games is now being arranged with various teams in this vicinity. The game with Harvard this fall will be played in New Haven and the great Yale-Princeton game will probably be played in New York at the polo grounds unless the Princeton faculty interfere as they did last year. In that case Princeton will doubtless make a strong effort to have the game played on their grounds, but this Yale will never consent to do, as she played there last year only on condition that future games should take place elsewhere. It is thought here that Yale will have her hands full to defeat either Harvard or Princeton, both of which colleges are reported to have much better teams than last year.

The track athletes are making active preparations for the fall races, which take place in about three weeks. Among the events, it is expected that there will be a half-mile race open to all amateurs in the country. Sherrill, '89, who is now the champion 100-yards runner of the country, will run in these races, as will also Hinckley, '88, who has a record of a quarter-mile in 51 3-4 seconds; Bradner, who is able to run within a fraction of a second of the record in the half-mile run has retired from the track permanently. It is reported that Ludington, '87, who holds the inter collegiate championship in the hurdle race, will take a post-graduate course here this year, and will run at Mott Haven next spring. Consider is expected of Packer, a sprinter who came here this fall from Andover. Murphy of Natick, Mass, is training the men. Much of Yale's success at Mott Haven last spring was due to him,-Boston Globe.