The Donor of the United States History Library.

No. 14 University now contains not only the political economy library, but also the collection of books on the history of the United States, which has proved of so great use to those who take the course on that subject. The books on political economy were given by members of the class of 1879, and those on United States history have been given in memory of one of that class-Glendower Evans. Evans had been an excellent student while in college, though he did not work for marks and was not among the highest in rank. He gave much of his time to reading, and few college men have had such a wide range of reading on graduation than he had. He entered the Law School and began to practice law in Boston, working also on law books and writing more or less on social subjects. His future was full of the promise of happiness and usefulness, and his early and unexpected death, in April of 1886, cut short a earner that would have brought honor to himself and to the University that trained him. He always retained a keen interest in the University, and especially in the departments that touched philosophical and social subjects. The gift in his memory of the money for the United States History Library at once fills an urgent need in an important branch of study, and forms an appropriate memorial to one of the ablest and most loyal of the younger graduates.