The Strike.

PROSPECT OF AN EARLY SETTLEMENT.

Saturday morning, in consequence of an announcement of Colonel Bancroft that cars would be run over the Cambridge lines, an enormous crowd of business men, students and strikers gathered on Harvard square; but the latter were in a decided minority. At nine o'clock a bell rang in the stables and a chocolate colored Bowdoin square car came swiftly out, escorted by eight mounted policemen and stopped in the square. There was a general stir on the part of the strikers but no aggressive action. The car was filled with students in a twinkling and went off amid the derision of the crowd. The track by long disuse had become too clogged, however, and the car, after moving a few feet, stopped, much to the strikers' delight. Two more horses were hitched on, however, and it moved away gaily around by Beck Hall, its escort turned back, met a Mount Auburn car above the University Press and piloted it through. Mounted police escorted both cars across the bridge, and officers of the law stood on both of its platforms. There was no disturbance, the crowd being silent, and the only cries of "scab" were of the "muckers" who followed the cars.

Beginning with nine o'clock, cars ran all day over the main line. Colonel Bancroft on his charger, at the head of his mounted police force, protected every out-going and in-coming car. At four, however, cars ceased running, Colonel Bancroft fearing violence if the cars were run in the dark. No cars were run yesterday, and clumsy barges still did a thriving business.

Last night Colonel Bancroft announced his intention of running cars again to-day, and without interruption, hereafter. The strike will probably not last over two or three days more. The company is determined not to yield; the strikers cannot prevent their places being filled by new men; and violence never is an ultimately successful thing, especially if it is illegally resorted to. In three days the strikers will have either gone back to their posts, or will have none to go back to; their only satisfaction and that a brief one, will be to see the green conductors ringing the bell-punch to stop a car, and the green drivers jumping switches and running off the track.