Volapuk.

THE INTERNATIONAL COMMERCIAL LANGUAGE.

Volapuk, or Volapyk, is a word that one frequently hears in these days, and all who pretend to keep up with the topics of the time should thoroughly understand the aims and rights of this "world-language."

In 1879, Dr. Schleier of Constance, becoming convinced of the commercial necessity of a language to be spoken by all nations, invented Volapuk, the etymology of which is based on French, German and Latin. There is but one declension, one conjugation, no article, no grade; and all prepositions govern the accusative. The conjugation of verbs is somewhat elaborate, but it is without exceptions. Volapuk has already been adopted in various parts of Australia, Syria, Germany and America. In Paris it is taught in thirteen institutions, and there are five newspapers published in it. We are quite prepared to believe the statement of Volapuk grammar that, "anyone, understanding English, French, German or Latin, can acquire a complete knowledge of this new language in a month." Indeed, proof is offered by a class in one of the French business colleges, which, after eight lessons, was able to correspond easily in this tongue.

An example shows its simplicity. Thus "gift" (giv) is declined: -

SINGULAR. PLURAL.

giv, the gift. givs,

giva, of the gift, givas,

give, to the gift, gives,

givi, gift (acc.), givis,

the verb "to give" (givon) is found as follows: -

SINGULAR. PAURAL.

givol, I give, givobs, we give,

givol, thou givest, givols, you give,

givom, he gives, givoms, they give.

Inasmuch as all nouns and verbs are declined and conjugated in this same way, it is easy to translate the sentence, selobs domis mane, we sell the house to the man. And as the adjective and adverb are always formed from the noun by the same ending, ik, iko, (fam, fame; famik, famous; famiko famously), there is never any irregularity; the whole language, after a few hours study, becomes merely a question of vocabulary.

How convenient if this one easy language can enable us to get along with comfort in the large hotels and shops of Europe; or can suffice for the merchant in his trade with all foreign countries.