The Cambridge Race.

The Globe publishes the following, appended by an interview with Captain Keyes. The facts are interesting:

"There is very little prospect of an international intercollegiate boat race this year between a crew from Cambridge, England, and Harvard's eight. Although the correspondence between the two universities began early in the winter, the matter has dragged along without any definite conclusion until now it is so late that a race cannot well be arranged. The special cable published in the Globe some time ago gave in an impetus to the lagging interest in the prospective race, and told the exact state of feeling at the time in the English university. As a result of the Globe's interest in the matter, more letters have passed between the captains of the two crews, but no definite arrangement has been arrived at. As Cambridge began the correspondence, it was expected that a challenge would, before long, be sent to Harvard. It has not come yet, and unless a formal challenge is received before July 1, there will be no race.

Harvard and Cambridge have never met in this country, although a crew was sent to England by Harvard some years ago.

It unfortunately happens this year that Harvard has not a strong crew. Yale's victory last year discouraged many of the rowing men and the present Harvard crew, with one exception, is made up of new men who have had only one year's training. For this reason Harvard is not over-anxious to meet the English university men. But it is so long since the crews have rowed together, and the coming of a crew from across the water would add such an impetus to aquatic sports, that Harvard is willing to accept a challenge, even with a certainty of defeat. But the matter has been in discussion so long that most of Harvard's eight have concluded that there will be no race, and have made other arrangements for the summer."