The Yale Race.

HARVARD DEFEATED.-AN EXCITING CONTEST.After the Columbia race, Harvard's boating stock seemed to take a decided boom. Everyone decided to go to New London to see the race, and as Harvard had beaten the record it was taken for granted that Yale must have to row a desperate race to win.

At the word both boats got off very evenly, Yale having a slight advantage. At the quarter Yale was still a little ahead, pulling thirty-seven strokes to the minute, Harvard following with thirty-five. At about this point the race was one of the prettiest ever seen on the river. The men in both eights were pulling beautifully, and the outcome was still decidedly unsettle. Yale passed the mile in 5 m. 20 s., with Harvard three seconds behind. In a short time the boats would reach the eel-grass where Yale hoped to row away from Harvard, as Harvard had done with Columbia a few days before. Her hopes were realized in a large degree, Harvard's men becoming somewhat exhausted in their efforts to keep even with their antagonists. At the two mile flag, however, Harvard was only five seconds behind, and the Crimson supporters began to hope that their crew might pass Yale in the last two miles, as the current is stronger on the east side, where Harvard was rowing.

But there was no such luck, on the contrary, Yale seemed to redouble her efforts and began to leave Harvard further behind at every stroke. Yale was now rowing about thirty-five and Harvard thirty-four, which seemed to be the average strokes of the two crews. One or two of the Harvard eight seemed to be weakening somewhat and their work was rather ragged. Yale was pulling a long, even stroke, and with the exception of No. 2, all seemed in good condition. Yale passed the three mile flag in 17 m. 81/2 s., Harvard being about three lengths behind.

As the boats neared the finish they were greeted by the usual New London concert, which at times sounds most pleasantly, and at others most disagreeably. This time, although the volume of noise was greater, the general effect produced was hardly equal to that rendered at the time of the Columbia race.

Yale, still in the lead, swept on to the finish, through the long line of yachts and row boats, and crossed the line in 22 m. 56 s., Harvard following in 23 m. 10 1-2 s.

The make up of the crews is as follows.

YALE.Bow, R. M. Wilcox, 146 lbs.

2. C. O. Gill, 161 lbs.

3. J. Rogers, 156 lbs.

4. J. W. Middlebrook, 162 lbs.

5. G. W. Woodruff, 166 lbs.

6. F. A. Stevenson, 164 lbs.

7. G. R. Carter, 158 lbs.

Stroke, E. L. Caldwell, 150 lbs.

R. Thompson, 104 lbs.

HARVARD.Same as in the Columbia race.

The officers of the race were:

Referee.-George Richards.

Judge for Yale, Robert Cook.

Judge for Harvard, Clifford Watson.

Judge at finish for Yale, John Sheffield; for Harvard, Robert P. Perkins.

Timekeeper for Yale, George A. Adee; for Harvard, F. S. Coolidge.