The 'Varsity Nine.

Candidates for the University Nine are now in active training and the cage presents an animated appearance from early afternoon until dark. The various candidates practice sliding to bases, hand ball, starting, etc. A new feature in the training is the stopping of ground balls and throwing at a mark. It develops quickness of judgment and accuracy of aim. In sliding, an arrangement has been originated by Captain Willard whereby the runner is raised from the ground as he is about to slide. After the cage work, the men exercise at the chest-weights, practice with the dumb-bells and take a short run. The pitchers, five in number, practice four half-hours weekly under the guidance of Mr. Clarkson. The candidates are:

Hawley, '89, a new man, who has recently entered Harvard from Hobart College, where he has had some experience in pitching. He has speed, but no control of the ball. Luce, '91, who pitched on the class team last year and was tried in several of the 'varsity's practice games. McLeod, '90, who has played on his class nine, but who pitched last year for the first time. He is speedy, but fails to fathom the mysteries of the "drop." McPherson, '89, played in the out-field of his freshman team, and has pitched for the last two years. Schroll, '89, has done no ball playing while in college, owing to his crew work, but has good command of the ball and may develop into an able pitcher.

Of these, Luce and Schroll are suffering from Jame arms and are unable to do much work. All the pitchers are obliged to deliver the ball in a manner different from that to which they have been accustomed. At best, the material is poor, and the loss of Bates will be severely felt.

The material from which to choose the in and out-fields of the nine is of inferior quality to that of past years, while there are more places to fill than usual. The 'varsity has lost valuable men in Campbell, Boyden, Gallivan, Knowlton and Bates. Their places will be difficult to fill. Of last year's nine Henshaw will occupy his old position as catcher, Willard will cover first base, Quackenboss will probably play third, and Howland will resume his place in the outfield. Thus the positions of pitcher, second-base, short-stop, and two places in the out-field are vacant.

For the position of second-base there are Mumford, '90, who was a substitute of the 'varsity last year until illness compelled him to retire, and who is also candidate for an outfield position, McCoy, '90, who covered second for his class team last year, but who was not a member of his freshman nine. Evans, sp., a new man, is also trying for the outfield.

Corning, '91, who played short on the freshman nine last year is a candidate for short-stop's position. He is a good fielder and strong batter. Babbitt, '91, a member of last year's freshman nine. Dean, '91, who covered first base for the '91 freshmen, and who is a strong fielder, but a poor batter, is also a candidate for the position of short-stop. Wood, sp,, was a member of the '91 freshman nine. Talbot, '89, who has played two years on his class team. J. Codman, '92, a new man, is also trying for short-stop. Crosby, '91, is trying for the outfield. He was a member of last year's freshman nine.

The names of the candidates for short are practically the same as of those trying for second. G. S. Curtis, '92, who is trying for this position, is a new man.

Quackenboss, M. S., is a candidate for the nine and will probably occupy his old position at third. Bates, '90, of the '90 class team, is also trying for this position, as is Barney, '90. The latter has done but little ball-playing while in college.

The candidates for the outfield are F. Codman, '90, who has played on the freshman nines of the last two years and who is a strong fielder and a good batter. Howland, L. S., a member of last year's 'varsity, who will probably play again this year. J. S. Brown, '92, a new man.

Bell, '92, who is also trying for the position of catcher. Duncan, '90, a new man. Linn, '90, of last year's nine. Cummings, '91, a member of last year's freshman nine and a strong batter. Nichols, '91, of last year's freshman nine. Hale, L. S. S., who is also a candidate for catcher, and McKean, '90, a good all-round player, who has played since his freshman year on his class nine.

Notwithstanding the number of candidates, the outlook for the nine this year is very gloomy. The quality is by no means equal to the quantity, and only by the most strenuous exertions can the nine hope to make a worthy showing on the field this spring.