New Theological School.

It was rumored last spring that another school of theology, following the lead of the Episcopal school, would accept the general invitation of Harvard and locate in Cambridge. The report proved true. The estate of President Sparks on Quincy street opposite Memorial hall, had already been bought, and necessary alterations were soon under way.

This school follows the teachings and philosophy of the great Swedenborg. The religion is called either New Church or Swedenborgian. They believe in certain principles, which, when received among men, will realize the promise of the New Jerusalem, the perfection of Christianity when errors of the past and all that is unworthy in life shall have been put away. Their belief does not differ from that of the older bodies in some one point, but is a complete system in itself. Its leading doctrines are that God is one, His love, wisdom, and providential energy being named in the Bible, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; that he was perfectly revealed in the life of Jesus Christ as the Savior of Mankind; that the scriptures are historically true, adapted outwardly to the degraded times in which they were written, but containing an inner meaning inspired by God.

The school was opened in September with one professor in residence and six students, the former being Rev. T. F. Wright, of the class of '66, Harvard. Rev. John Worcester, of Newton, is president, S. F. Dike, D. D., professor in history, Rev, J. E. Warren, of the University of Berne, professor of languages. Of the students, one comes from Denmark, one from Sweden, one from England, and the rest from the United States.

The school is maintained by the General Convention, being the only one of the kind. It bears the same relation to the college as the Episcopal school does and has all the privileges of the Library. It contains a museum of Bible objects, which is always open to the public, and which is gradually being improved as research goes on in the Holy Land.

In the chapel, also on the first floor, about one hundred can be accommodated. Services are held every Sunday morning at 10.30, and a lecture at 4 in the afternoon. A course of lectures, beginning February 4th, is to be given by Rev. Frank Sewall of Washington, the general subject being, "God is knowable." The public is cordially invited to these and all other similar exercises.