English Public Schools.

Mr. George L. Fox, Rector of the Hopkins Grammar School, New Haven, gave a very interesting talk on the Public Schools of England last night in the Jefferson Laboratory. The views were good, but unfortunately the light was poor, and there was much confusion in throwing them on the canvas. The pictures of the boat races and cricket fields bringing in delightful bits of English scenery, were especially pleasing.

Mr. Fox said the English public school is in no sense a free school. It is very hard to give a definition of it, but generally speaking they are endowed, church of England boarding schools, the head master and many of the subscribers of which are clergymen. According as the definition varies so does the number of these schools, but in all there are some thirty-five. The larger schools have many more scholars than our own, and the attainments of the boys are greater. At all these schools chapel life is a most essential feature. Dr. Temple's superannuation which fixes the age for sixth form men at nineteen prevails at many schools. The classics are the basis of classification, and a sixth form man often takes lower form mathematics. Music is much fostered; their Eton boating song so popular here is not so highly regarded in England. The songs are written by the teachers and the music master sets them to music. The sentiment in all these songs is very noble and elevating. The Harrow songs are noted all over England. They are very unique, and deal with the historical and athletic sides of the school. If you are ever at Harrow at the end of the term, don't fail to get a ticket to hear the boys sing their foot ball songs.