The New Drexel Institute.

Last Thursday in Philadelphia was dedicated the Drexel Institute of Art, Science and Industry, the gift of Mr. Anthony J. Drexel to his fellow man.

The institute is founded to promote education in art, science and industry. Its chief object is the extension and improvement of industrial education as a means of opening better and wider avenues of employment to young men and women. It will provide liberal means of culture for the masses by means of lectures, evening classes, a library and a museum. The work of the institute will be arranged under these general divisions:

The art department, the scientific department, the department of mechanic arts, the department of domestic economy, the technical department, the business department, the department of physical training, the normal department for the training of teachers, the department of lectures and evening classes, the library and reading room, and the museum. Each one of these is admirably fitted up and is most suited in every way, to afford the very best instruction. The tuition is very small, practically free and there are 160 endowed scholarships. The library and museum which must require time to grow have already a good beginning; the former contains room for 75,000 volumes and has some very valuable manuscripts, the gift of Mr. George W. Childs. The cost of the Drexel Institute in site, buildings and equipment has been $500,000. This Mr. Drexel has paid with but one proviso - that everything used in construction and equipment should be the best procurable. In addition Mr. Drexel has given securities to the amount of a million. The result is that the edifice is without an equal in the world. The institute will take boys and girls and give them a practical education and one that is not too much like a specialist's. The pupils on leaving will be well equipped to begin life and will find no difficulty in obtaining a situation. A girl can learn dressmaking, that is manuals then in another department she can learn drawing and color and go still higher to the departments of art if she desires.

The establishment of this institution has long been a dream of Mr. Drexel's and he has been at work on it for years. It is an everlasting monument to a most generous, broad minded, and pailanthropie man. Mr. Drexel is now a man of about sixty and is at the head of a most successful banking business in Philadelphia. He is one of the largest givers for charity in that city. He has been very much aided in the growth of the institute by Mr. George W. Childs, who with Mr. Drexel and his son compose the board of trustees. A most distinguished assemblage witnessed the dedicatory exercises last week where Mr. Chauncey M. Depew delivered the address which was followed by a shorter one by James Mac Alister L. L. D. the president of the Institute.