University of North Cearolina.

Mr. W. S. Peckham, '67, in the Newport Mercury of Feb. 28, writes entertainingly of this little-known University. It was founded over a hundred years ago by constitutional provision, and the site selected for it at Chapel Hill, N. C., was chosen peculiarly with a view to its healthful position-on the top of "a sandy hill in the middle of the State, where the rain water disappears almost instantaneously, and for miles away you look down upon pines that are health-giving." The climate is mild and balmy. Seldom is there any winter. "The buildings, like those of Northern colleges of the grade of Dartmouth, Brown or Amherst, never had any doors apparently, and do not need them." Nor have hard blizzards necessitated even the replacing of "windows broken in war time." The roses bloom all the time in open air, and there is out-door singing in the January evenings, as with us in June. The board and lodging is fabulously cheap ($18 a month) from our point of view, but the students are perhaps even better fed, for the cooking is excellent. The University is now feeling the new pulse of growth pervading the whole State.