Harvard '95 vs. Browne and Nichols.

The freshmen played their first game Saturday, against Browne and Nichols, on Norton's field. Only five innings were played, but the game was long and tiresome, as the Browne and Nichols team could not handle the ball at all, but made errors on the easiest balls and plays. The freshmen played with as much snap as could be expected, against such a team. Webb pitched throughout the game. His pitching was fair, but he seemed inclined to lose his head. Walker caught the first two innings, when he hurt his finger, and was replaced by McAdams. The batting was good, Worman, Rogers and Wadsworth, doing the best work. In the first inning, the Browne and Nichols team went to pieces altogether, making error after error, and allowing the freshmen to score twelve runs. For the first two innings, '95 played a careful game, and did not allow their opponents to score. Walker's catching was not up to his usual standard, however. In the last three innings, the men became rather careless, and let Browne and Nichols score seven runs.

The nines were made up as follows:

'95: Webb, p., Walker and McAdams, c., Lighthall, 1b., Dodge, 2b., Worman, 3b., Cassatt, s.s., Wadsworth, l.f., Bigelow, c. f., Rogers, r.f.

Browne and Nichols: Hewes, p., Benson, c., Duveneck, 1b., Gannett, 2b., Smith, 3b., Osgood, s.s., Saldana, c.f., Chapman, r.f.

The score by innings:

1 2 3 4 5

Harvard '95, 12 0 9 0-21

Browne and Nichols, 0 3 0 0 4-7