The Harvard Nine.

When the Harvard nine played its first championship game with Amherst, winning it by a score of 13 to 2, its many friends, though anticipating an honorable record, little thought that rival after rival would fall so regularly before the skill of its members. Victory followed victory, however, until at last the pennant has been brought to Cambridge, and will float over Holmes Field for the coming year, a needless reminder to every Harvard man of the glories by which it was won. The nine played its second game in Providence, winning it by a score of 3 to 1. New Haven was the scene of the next game. Here Harvard gained a more brilliant victory, causing Yale to strike her colors with a score of 12 to 4. Harvard then met Amherst for the second time and won a fourth victory, the score standing 15 to 5. In the following week, the nine played its first championship game with Princeton, increasing its lead by another victory. Score 15 to 6. Dartmouth was the next competitor to acknowledge the superior ability of Harvard, losing a game by 5 to 12. The seventh victory was won when Princeton succumbed on Holmes with 4 runs to Harvard's 13. Dartmouth came to Cambridge for the second game, but fared no better than Princeton, as the Crimson defeated the Green by 9 runs to 3. The game that decided the championship question was played with Brown on Holmes and resulted in the ninth consecutive victory for Harvard. This game was the closest of the series, the score standing 3 to 2. In these nine games, Harvard made 95 runs while her opponents made only 32. The averages of the different players are shown by the following figures, the first figures giving the percentage in the field, the second, at the bat. Willard, 1b., .912, .432; Allen, c., .899, .317; Nichols, p., .855, .459; Beaman, 3b., .843, .326; Smith, 2b., .805, .379; Winslow, r. f., .750, .307; Foster, c. f., .714, .192; Tilden, l. f., .666, .256; Jones, c. f., .666, .125; Edgerly, s. s., c. f., .666, .040; Wiestling, s. s., .400. .166. A tenth victory is all that is needed to make Harvard more than proud of the most successful college nine.