Last Football Practice.

The eleven gave another exhibition of good, sharp playing yesterday afternoon. In view of the fact that it was the last hard practice it promised well for success in the Pennsylvania game. The backs were at first Brewer, Gonterman and Wrightington, Gonterman being replaced by Clarke later in the half. In the line Manahan was laid off and Connor took his place.

The second scored on a fluke as on Monday, otherwise the work of the 'varsity was creditable. The aggressive playing had a little of that fierceness which one expects to see in a winning team. The defense, too, was not bad. Newell played as he used to in his freshman year and did a good part of the tackling for the eleven. Mackie braced considerably and Clarke and Stevenson showed themselves good ground gainers, The flying wedge with Stevenson behind it was again brilliantly successful, at one time making nearly 40 yards.

In the second half the 'varsity lined up against the freshman eleven. The backs then were Brewere, Gonterman and Clarke, with Fairchild quarter. In the line Gould played in Manahan's position, and A. Brewer on right end. Lewis coached and Winslow went in at centre. These changes were caused by the playing of the 'varsity freshmen on their class eleven, which was made up as follows: Lovering fullback, Dunlop and Wrightington halfbacks, Beale quarter, Sheacentre, Williams and Shaw guards, Scannell and Connor tackles, and Stevenson and Barton ends. Stevenson was captain.

The freshmen made a very creditable stand. They failed to gain much ground, but on the other hand allowed as little as could be expected, considering who there opponents were. It was the first time they had played together and a few days more could be spent in improving the team work.

Captain Waters was on the field but took no part in the game except as coach. He will not play in tomorrow's game. It is not fully decided who will take his place. Today the eleven will be given only light work, probably nothing more than to rehearse the signals.