The Jefferson Physical Laboratory.

In his annual report on the Jefferson Physical Laboratory, Professor Trowbridge speaks of the preparatory school training in physics. The methods of laboratory instruction are being gradually introduced, but, owing to the knowledge of trigonometry which is required, there is a difficulty in the way of preparing students for the higher course in laboratory work. The teaching of elementary mathematics has not hitherto kept pace with the adoption of rational methods of teaching physics; and few preparatory schools offer any course as advanced as trigonometry.

The number of students taking elementary courses in the laboratory being thus limited, cannot be taken as a fair measure of the success of the institution. The true success lies in the number of well trained teachers and investigators sent forth, and in this direction the results have been very satisfactory. During the past three years the laboratory has supplied to other institutions one professor, one assistant professor, and two instructors in physics. In the past year, moreover, two graduate students have gone into the practical applications of physical science; and these well trained men can extend the influence of this University to a larger number even than attend courses in physics here.