Graduate Club.

The Graduate Club held a very pleasant meeting at the Union Club Rooms yesterday evening. The resignation of Dr. J. M. Manley, who is to be an instructor in the English Department at Brown, was read and accepted, and G. H. Parker '87, L. S. S., was elected as his successor. W. L. Phelps, Yale '87, and Dr. T. W. Harris were elected to fill vacancies on the executive committee. The following men were elected members of the society: W. B. Carpenter, B. L. M. Underwood, T. T. Davis, W. E. Phillips, J. G. Owens, A. A. Berle, Mark Bailey, David Spencer, D. S. Miller, G. R. Mathews, R. E. Edes, P. R. Reynolds, making 84 in all.

Professor D. G. Lyon then gave a short address on the letters found in 1887 in the ruins of Amarna, half way between Thebes and Memphis. These letters, some 300 in number, deal with wars, invasions, etc., and usually begin with lengthy greetings. The writing is in the Babylonish script on clay tablets, some of which are remarkably well preserved. These tablets are of great importance as they serve to show the far reaching influence of Babylon on the shores of the Mediterranean.

At the conclusion of Professor Lyon's address an informal reception was held and refreshments served.