Intercollegiate Chess.

The preliminary list of candidates for the Harvard pair that will contest at New York during Christmas week in the chess cup tournament has been already published. The lists from Columbia and from Princeton are at hand.

Princeton's men are as follows: W. L. Johnson '97, H. L. Bassett '98, M. B. Morehouse '98, E. B. Seymour '98, G. W. Gordorn '99, J. A. Ely '99 Sci., W. W. Young '99 Sci., H. J. Brandt '00, F. W. Jarvis '00 Sci.

Columbia's candidates are: Erskine, Jacobus, Knapp, Lemcke, Moffat, T. Parker, all of the College; Price, Law; A. W. Parker and Seward, of the School of Mines; Kroeber, Philosophy.

Of these, men who have represented their college in previous tournaments are E. B. Seymour of Princeton and A. M. Price of Columbia.

The Yale chess club has secured the services of Major Hannam, the New York chess expert, to coach the Yale players in preparation for the intercollegiate tournament. Yale's preliminary list has not yet been received, but it is semi-officially announced that W. M. Murdoch of last year's team will play, with probably Lehlbach or Arvine.

It is too early to speculate at all effectively on the result of this year's cup tournament. for the reasons that the final pairs have in few cases been made up and that the preliminary lists exhibit new men of generally unknown strength. But the old men have had in most instances such incentives to improvement that the '96 tournament will doubtless outstrip its predecessors just as previous tournaments have in average chess quality.

Tickets for the tournament may be had at Leavitt and Peirce's. Price, 50 cents.