ROWING AT CORNELL.

General Review of the Autumn's Activity.- The Year's Prospects.

ITHACA, N. Y., Nov. 13, 1897.- Just at this time there is very little to say regarding matters aquatic here at Cornell. For while the powers who have charge of such matters may have many ideas on the subject, they seem disposed to say very little. As far as has been reported the Athletic Council has not as yet discussed the rowing situation and until that is done nothing of a startling or even of an interesting nature will develop. But, while nothing regarding future policy in detail is now known, something may be said about the condition, as it were, of rowing matters.

The fall class race proved to be an interesting event. Three crews rowed, the "Annapolis" or '99 crew winning easily with '98 second and 1900 third. Mr. Courtney was much pleased with the showing of the men and considered the taking weather conditions into account the race was most satisfactory. A very noticeable feature was the great interest shown by the students, several hundred of whom viewed the race from the lake excursion craft. The only other rowing event this fall was the single scull race for the Francis medal, which, though there were only three starters, was still a pretty contest and undoubtedly will do much toward making single sculling more popular here.

That there will be good material for Captain Colson to work with there is no doubt. All of last year's 'varsity except Captain Spillman are again in college, as are all of the '99 crew. Of course it is not at present known that all these men will go into training, but undoubtedly the majority will. The way in which the '99 crew has kept together is especially gratifying to Mr. Courtney. With the exception of one man the original '99 freshman crew is still in college. Mr. Courtney has always wanted to keep a crew together four years, and it now seems that he has a pretty good chance of doing it.

In the matter of equipment Cornell will be in good shape for the spring work. Mr. Courtney last summer did a great deal of work on the shells, which are now in good trim. It is not known just when the work of the candidates will commence, but it will probably not be long before Captain Colson will issue the call.

Altogether, with graduates and undergraduates deeply interested in the crew, with a popular and efficient captain; a large number of experienced men, and the same old coach, the prospect for a good crew for '98 is very bright.

CORNELL DAILY SUN.