Post Office Affair.

Since the citizens of Cambridge do not seem to acquiesce in designating their office as Cambridge A, as distinguished from that of Cambridgeport, which was to be known as Cambridge B, the affair is practically ended.

Mr. George W. Beavers, the head of the Bureau of Salaries and Allowances, has informed Col. H. A. Thomas, postmaster of the Boston District, that no other option will be offered them and the offices will have to be known by their present names. The affair would evidently have been ended some time ago if Col Thomas had realized that there is only a small part of Cambridgeport which cares about changing the name.

Furthermore, Col Thomas says it would make no difference whether that part of the city was called Cambridge B, C, or D, it would still be recognized by everybody as Cambridgeport and the unpopularity which that section has attained would by no means be effaced by a change of name. Thus far the whole matter has been a farce and as Col. Thomas and Mr. Beavers agree, it has created much greater excitement than was necessary.

The next step in regard to the Post Office question will be to try to find some location for the Harvard Square office more convenient than the present one.