SECRET PRACTICE.

Final Preparation for the Yale Game Begins.- Signals in the Gymnasium.

The first day of the 'Varsity's secret practice in preparation for the Yale game, yesterday afternoon, was very unsatisfactory. The men played indifferently and lacked snap and energy to such an extent that it seems at least probable that they may be a bit finely trained.

During the afternoon an hour was spent in giving the forwards practice in breaking through. The 'Varsity backs exchanged positions with those of the second, in order that they might also take advantage of the opportunities offered for practice in catching punts and perfecting their back-field work. Captain Cabot was the only 'Varsity man who was not out. His knee is still weak and it has been considered advisable to give him a complete rest, before entering into the harder practice. Swain wrenched his ankle during the practice but the injury is not serious, as he will probably be out again tomorrow.

Ex-captain Holden, fullback on the '88 team was out for the first time and hereafter will assist in coaching. B. G. Waters was also present at the practice.

As the regular signal practice was dispensed with during the afternoon in order to strengthen the team in the above mentioned points, and in the working up of new and intricate plays, three quarters of an hour was spent on signal work in the Gymansium last night.

The line-up of the team yesterday afternoon was:

'VARSITY. SUB. 'VARSITY.

Graydon, l. e. r. e., Richardson.

Swain, Gray, l. t. r. t., Sargent '99.

Bouve, l. g. r. g., Shaw.

Doucette, c. c., Burden.

Haskell, r. g. l. g., Boal.

Donald, r. t. l. t., Wheller.

Moulton, r. e. l. e., Lewis.

Garrison, q. b. q. b., Cochrane.

Parker, l. h. b. r. h. b., Sawin.

Cozzens, r. h. b. l. h. b., Dibblee.

Haughton, Brown, f. b. f. b., Warren.