"Fool's Gold."

The first public performance of the Pi Eta comic opera, "Fool's Gold," was given in the society's theatre last evening. There was a large audience which received the opera enthusiastically and called for many encores. Considerable snap was put into the piece and the work of the principals was on the whole very good. The chorus did excellent work. Its dances were well done and its singing good. The costuming is tasteful and the opera is well stayed.

Of the more important characters, Vivian Burnett '98, W. D. Walker '97 A. B. Cuningham '97, and G. S. T. Newell, Jr., L. S., were perhaps the best. W. S. Parker '98, as the page, did not make much of his part, while T. L. Homes '99, as the duke, overdid his. F. Barry '97, made a blustering brigand. The solos by Waterhouse were sung well, but lacked life, with the exception of his part in the trio with Newell and Cunnigham. Newell made a capital jovial count and Cunningham as the elderly daughter was funny.

The specia ties need more life except the dance by DeLaittre '97, Barron '99, Carter '97, and Chipman '98, which was repeatedly and deservedly encored.

The opera will be played at Lynn, Thursday; at Fall River, Friday; at Newton, Saturday and at the Bijou Theatre in Boston on Monday next.