AN EASY VICTORY.

The University Eleven Wins from Amherst, 41 to 0.

The Harvard eleven defeated Amherst yesterday by the score of 41 to 0. Amherst was completely outclassed in every point of the game and at no time was able to gam any ground. But the Harvard team, although the changing line-up gave twenty-three men a chance to play, was so strong on the offensive and employed such effective team-play that Amherst did not once secure the ball on downs. As four touchdowns in the first half proved that the game was only a question of score, line-plays alone were used, in the second half, to give the forwards as much practice as possible. Since the Amherst line stood very high, the Harvard line found it easy to open holes at will, by applying the principles of playing which have lately been drilled into them. Consequently the game was in many respects of much less value than the ordinary practice against the second eleven.

All four of the Harvard ends played a splendid game. As there was never any necessity for punting, they had little chance for individual work except on the kick-offs when Daly usually returned the kick. In every case the Amherst back was downed for a loss and often with such force that he dropped the ball. The Harvard backs on the other hand had no trouble in eluding the Amherst ends and forwards, and made long gains after catching the punts. Daly was clever as usual in this department of the game.

All the half-backs except Gierasch were given chances to play. Warren at fullback and Sawin at quarter are of course only temporary changes, because of slight injuries to the substitutes for those positions. Parker played with much spirit throughout the game and bucked the line with his usual fierceness. In the last five minutes he gave way to Brayton, who is little slow for a half-back. Kendall played a dashing game in the first half, scoring in the last minute of play from the forty-five yard line. His substitute, Ellis was a valuable ground-gainer, but in the few chances he had, proved weak on the defense. Deven's line-bucking was good.

The men in the line were not forced to play hard football, but there was no reason for not blocking more kicks. Boal played his usual hard game until he was replaced by Hollingsworth. Rainsford played in his first game this season and showed his quickness by breaking up a false-kick play. The tackles were not tried enough by Amherst to show whether they had made the desired improvement.

After Daly had kicked off, Harvard regained the ball on a fumble and scored the first touchdown in two minutes. Long runs by the halfbacks and by Daly [soon added two more touchdowns, and Kendall scored the fourth with only after seconds to play. Daly kicked three out of four goals.

In the second half, the line-bucking game did not net so many touchdowns as were scored in the first half. On a fumble of Daly's return of the kick-off, J. Lawrence fell on the ball, and a series of line plays carried it across for a touchdown. Amherst was forced to kick the ball three times in this half. Devens and Ellis each scored again, and Sawin kicked the goals, one of which was from a punt-out. Time was called when Sawin was running for a touchdown with a clear field, but he unfortunately stopped at the sound of the whistle.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  Amherst. Campbell, Ristine, l.e.  r.e., Ballentine. Swain, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., Butler. Boal, A. R. Sargent, Barnard, l.g.  r.g., Varnum. C. Sargent, Greene, c.  c., Larkin. Hollingsworth, Rainsford, r.g.  l.g., Otis. J. Lawrence, Lewis, r.t.  l.t, Morse. Hallowell, L. Motley, r.e.  l.e., Dudley. Daly, Sawin, q.b.  q.b., Swift, Patrick. Parker, Brayton, l.h.  r.h., Noyes. Kendall, Ellis, r.h.  l.h., Byram, Swift. Warren, Devens, f.b.  f.b., Washburne.

Score--Harvard 41, Amherst 0. Touchdowns--Parker 2, Kendall 2, Ellis 2, Devens. Goals from touchdowns--Daly 4, Sawin 2. Umpire--Mr. Fairbanks. Referee--C. O. Jenkins. Time-keeper--F. Wood. Linemen--Edmunds of Harvard and Fosdick of Amherst. Time--Two fifteen-minute halves.