HARVARD, 29; BATES, 0

Substitute Back-Field.--Burnett, Donald and Eaton in the Line-up.

Harvard defeated Bates College yesterday afternoon, scoring one more point than Yale did against the same team ten days ago. Although Bates made consistent gains at times in the first half, the substitution in the second of Campbell, Daly, Burnett, Donald and Eaton for some of the substitutes made the defense much stronger. In spite of the absence of Hallowell, the ends played a good tackling game, and made every yard of Sawin's punts tell.

Bates developed a fair offensive game, and except for slowness in giving the signals and in starting the back field played well. A double pass, Stinchfield to Richardson, was worked successfully several times. Only the sure tackling of Sawin and Ristine prevented Bates from scoring twice.

Harvard's offense was irregular throughout. After long runs by Sawin, and hard line-plunging by Hurley, Warren and Ellis, a costly fumble, or offside play would give the ball to Bates, and lessen the chances for a touchdown. Hurley and Sawin were the only backs who went into the line low. The hurdling style of Ellis and Warren, although effective yesterday, will not gain ground against a strong team. In the back-field, Sawin did excellent work. He outpunted Putnam repeatedly and by following his interference well, made several long runs.

Two touchdowns were scored during the first half and three in the second. In the first two minutes of play, Sawin ran ninety yards for a touchdown, after catching a punt. A few minutes later, Warren, with good interference, cleared left end, and scored from the middle of the field.

In the second half two blocked punts gave Harvard the ball on the five yard line and Ellis carried it across. Bates then weakened considerably and the Harvard backs gained at will through the line. Ellis and Warren each scored once.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  Bates. Ristine, Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Jordan. Swain, Donald, l.t.  r.t., Call, Willis. Hollingsworth, l.g.  r.g., Baldwin, Hunnewell. Kasson, Burnett, c.  c., Moody. Burden, r.g.  l.g., Hunt. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Sturgis. L. Motley, r.e.  l.e., Richardson. Sawin, Daly, q.b.  q.b., Purington. Hurley, Sawin, l.h.  r.h., Stinchfield. Warren, r.h.  l.h., Garlough, Babcock. Ellis, f.b.  f.b., Putnam.

Score--Harvard 29, Bates 0. Touchdowns--Sawin, Ellis 2, Warren 2. Goals from touchdowns--Lawrence 3, Sawin. Umpire--W. H. Lewis. Referee -- A. Goul. Timekeeper--F. Wood. Linesmen--Gray of Harvard and Pulsifer of Bates. Time--Twenty and fifteen minute halves.