Football at Pennsylvania.

With ex-captain Outland, McCracken, Hare, Gardiner and McMahon, all back again this fall, U. of P. started her football season with excellent prospects. Overfield has been ill, but is expected to join the squad in a short time. The presence on the eleven of McCracken and Hare is sufficient in itself to show that the guards back formation will again be relied upon to a considerable extent. This nucleus of former 'varsity players will be supported by three of last year's prominent substitutes: by Kennedy, who captained the second eleven, and who was prevented from playing by the one year's residence rule, by McCloskey, who will be Overfield's substitute at centre, and by Rengenberg, who started to play left end but recently has made a better impression as a full-back. For the other three positions there seems to be a host of good material. Howell's work, in particular, is so brilliant that it is expected he will develop into one of the best ends U. of P. has ever had. Snover and Stehle, too, are doing well at the tackles. All three of these men have played in the first two games of the season, and have shown promising ability.