WILLIAMS DEFEATED

Effective Interference. Weak Opponent. Tackles need Strengthening.

The eleven won the first football game of the season on Saturday afternoon from Williams, by the score of 29 to 0 in two ten-minute halves. In spite of the fact that the line-up was constantly changing to give as many men as possible a chance to play, the offensive work showed a gratifying amount of team-play. Except for an unexpected weakness in the tackles, the work of the team was very encouraging to the coaches for this time of the year.

There are some criticisms however which can well be made. The backs are running altogether too high, and are not forming the interference in a satisfactory manner. Warren's old fault of fumbling was still in evidence. Kendall, also dropped the ball on Harvard's thirty-yard line at a critical moment, and, although he ran well with the ball, was ineffective in the interference.

The rest of the back field played strongly, especially Gierasch and Parker. The former was very quick on his feet, and by carefully following his interference, made some brilliant long runs around Williams's left end. Daly ran the team well and found no trouble in eluding the Williams's forwards by clever dodging. Fincke, who took his place in the last five minutes, played in much better form that last season, and was particularly effective in the interference. Both Reid and Sawin struck the line hard and the latter did some good punting.

The playing of the forwards, however, was not as aggressive as that of the backs. All the line men were behind the backs in starting, and the spiritless playing of Swain and Eaton was, to say the least, discouraging. Ristine and Campbell, the new ends, lack experience alone to be first-class players, and the centre of the line was strong on the defense.

Two touchdowns were scored in the first half. Hallowell kicked off to Williams's twenty-five yard line where Harvard took the ball on downs. Some clever rushing by Parker carried the ball up near the line, when Reid, on the third attempt, scored the first touchdown of the season. Daly missed a difficult goal. After the kick-off, Williams found the ball on Kendall's fumble, but after gaining through Swain and Eaton, was held for three downs. Parker's runs around the end and Kendall's through the line carried the ball down the field for Reid to score a second time. Daly kicked the goal.

In the second half, Williams weakened to such an extent that the Harvard substitute team was able to score three times, Daly kicking one goal and Sawin two. By following the interference and by alert dodging, Gierasch ran around Chadwell for a touchdown from the forty yard line. Two minutes later he ran to the five yard line and aided by the strong interference of Fincke and Sawin went through the line for the fourth touchdown. In the last two minutes, Gierasch scored again from the thirty-five yard line. Time was called with the ball in Williams's possession.

The line-up follows: Harvard.  Williams. Campbell, l.e.  r.e., Cullinane. Ristine, l.e. Swain, Blagden, l.t.  r.t., C. Seeley. Boal, l.g.  r.g., B. Seeley. C. Sargent, c.  c., Black. Burden, Trainer, r.g.  l.g., Lawrence. Eaton, Lewis, r.t.  l.t., Simmons. Hallowell, Cooper, r.e.  l.e., Chadwell. Daly, Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Moore. Parker, Gierasch, l.h.b.  r.h.b., Dolph. Kendall, Warren, r.h.b.  l.h.b., Draper. Reid, Sawin, f.b.  f.b., O'Neill.

Umpire, R. P. Waters; referee, J. E. N. Shaw; linesmen, Lawrence of Harvard, Bent of Williams. Touchdowns--Reid 2, Sawin, Gierasch 2. Goals--Daly 2, Sawin 2. Score--Harvard 29, Williams 0. Time--two ten minute halves.