HARVARD, 13; BOWDOIN, 0

A Ragged Game with Several Substitutes in the Line-up.

The eleven defeated Bowdoin yesterday afternoon by the score of 13 to 0. The game was an exhibition of poor football by both sides, with the very occasional relief of good individual play. Several of the men who are suffering from minor injuries, were not allowed to enter the game, and their places were taken by the substitutes. This of course destroyed the team-play to a great extent, but does not excuse poor playing.

The line-men as a whole showed some improvement over their form in the Williams game, especially in charging their opponents and starting with the backs. The lack of dash in the interference, due in part to the absence of Daly, and in part to the irregularity of the backs in starting, was a fault which can be corrected only with the use of more care by the backs in taking their positions. Any advantage Bowdoin had through the aggressiveness of her backs, was more than offset by her weakness in punting. Not only was the centre-rush inaccurate in passing the ball, but the few punts Upton was able to make went barely twenty-five yards. Superior though Harvard was in this respect, the kicking on her side was by no means satisfactory.

Ristine, who played at left end in place of Campbell, proved himself a valuable man. In addition to his effectiveness under punts, he defended his position perfectly, and tackled strongly. Barnard, who was tried at guard, played well for a man of his weight. Boal is playing his usual powerful game. Lawrence played a fair game except for his old habit of getting off-side, which undoubtedly prevented a large score.

In the back field, quick and clever as Gierasch was, his interference for his fellow-backs was weak. Although Kendall and Warren were effective in hurdling their opponents yesterday, their style of running high will be fatal against a strong eleven. Fincke and Parker were up to the standard.

Harvard scored almost immediately at the opening of the game. Although Upton handled Hallowell's kick-off very well, Bowdoin was forced to punt. After one poor pass by Swett, Upton punted out at his own thirty-yard line. Some clever hurdling by the Harvard backfield carried the ball up to the five-yard line where Parker scored through La Ferriere. Sawin missed the goal. During the remainder of the half, the ball changed hands often, without approaching either goal line. Offside play and careless fumbling cost Harvard much distance.

The beginning of the next half was marked by the snappiest play of the day. Bowdoin kicked off to Reid, who shortly afterwards punted. Harvard regained the ball on a fumble. Two rushes around the ends, followed by hard line bucking by all the backs carried the ball to the six yard line, and Reid was pushed over for the second touchdown. Lawrence kicked the goal.

Warren returned the next kick-off. Sharp work by Ristine, Hallowell and Swain, and a fumble by Upton gave Harvard the ball on Bowdoin's forty-yard line. Gierasch and Reid rushed the ball down the field, and Warren crossed the line with the ball, but off-side play called him back and the ball went to Bowdoin. On Webb's wild pass for a kick the ball rolled over the line and Upton was forced to make a safety. Twice again Harvard seemed about to score, when off-side play gave the ball to Bowdoin.

The elevens lined up as follows: Harvard.  Bowdoin. Ristine, l.e.  r.e., Chapman. Swain, l.t.,  r.t., La Ferriere. Boal, l.g.  r.g., Bodwell. C. Sargent, c.  c., Swett, Webb. Trainer, Barnard, r.g.  l.g., Cloudman. J. Lawrence, r.t.  l.t., Snow. Hallowell, r.e.  l.e., Clarke. Fincke, q.b.  q.b., Donald. Parker, Gierasch, l.h.  r.h., Hunt. Kendall, Warren, r.h.  l.h., Gregson. Sawin, Reid, f.b.  f.b., Upton.

Umpire, J. G. Knowlton. Referee, H. Letton. Time-keeper, John Graham. Linesmen, Gray of Harvard and Spear of Bowdoin. Touchdowns -- Parker, Reid. Goal from touchdown -- J. Lawrence. Safety--Upton. Score--Harvard 13, Bowdoin 0. Time--Two ten-minute halves.